Suggestions for a climbing white rose

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by zinzara, May 23, 2006.

1. zinzara

zinzara Member

I am wanting a climbing white rose with a double flower that flowers throughout the summer.

I have been looking into Felicite et perpetue and Isle Krohn Superior.

Anyone have these roses? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

There is a good example of Isle Krohn Superior in the Centennial Rose Garden at Dogwood Pavilion in Coquitlam (Dogwood Pavilion 621 Poirier St., next to Centennial School). The garden itself is beautiful, maintained through the sweat and toil of volunteers from the Fraser Pacific Rose Society. You should pay it a visit. This year, I estimated that the first 2 weeks in June would be a good time to visit. There are a number of other climbers there too.

I am rather prejudiced when it comes to climbers - I am a shameless promoter of my favourite - Parade. I will post some pictures when it gets into full stride - likely within the next 1-2 weeks. Other favourites of mind includes Altissimo (it may be a single, but a drammatic one), Pierre de Ronsard, Sombreuil and 'Freisinger Morgenrote'. The example of Freisinger Morgenrote at the Centennial Rose garden is stunning in full bloom.

3. zinzara

zinzara Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I will definately visit the gardens in Coquitlam and have a look at their specimens.

Do you have a particular source for your roses that is reliable? I am having a hard time sourcing some of the roses I'm interested in.

Thanks again.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Madame Alfred Carriere'.

5. cormac

cormac Member

the english gardening magazine i subscribe to recommends Felicite et perpetue -- i've been investigating climbers and ramblers recently and so have been going back thru issues ... i trust everything they say basically :)

6. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Felicite et Perpetue is a once bloomer, as are almost all ramblers. But if you are into interesting rose names, the one on the sisters, Felicite and Perpetue, is well worth reading. You might just decide to grow this rose, so heroic were these ladies. I have 'Madame Alfred Carriere' - I love it, but two words of caution (1) it's a monster of a climber (2) the blooms look neat for one day, and one day only. After that, the petals are arranged in a dishevelled manner. If you like more formal blooms, you may not like this rose. I love it for it's great fragrance and for it's rampant exuberance.

7. cormac

cormac Member

thanks for the link and the WG -- i'm interested in history so of course interested in plant history (i've just started a book on the history of the tulip) :)