Multi-Headed Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Eric La Fountaine, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following images were received via email from new member, Mike Satiar. He had never seen such a palm before and was very curious to the type of palm and the how it was made to grow this way.

Attached Files:

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

It appears to be a Phoenix species, probably a damaged crown forced a multi-trunk. I have seen photos of other palms in similar states, and they always attract quite a bit of attention.

3. Michael O'Neill

Michael O'Neill Member

Most definitely a Phoenix variety. It's not that unusual to see multi-crowned shafts on palms. Where i live i have seen several specimens of other types with similar growth. You should be proud of this one! You're getting more palm !

Mike, Darwin Australia

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. Michael O'Neill

Michael O'Neill Member

Yes, a very interesting lot of photos to say the least! One particular tropical palm dypsis lutescens (clumping golden cane) often does the same thing and 'sprouts' new growth from areas along the trunk, roots and all. It's like somebody had glued a juvenile seedling to it! The new growth forms into a minature version of its parent and it does look a little odd seeing this on there.

mike