Japanese Maple for indoors

Discussion in 'Maples' started by majohnson, May 30, 2006.

1. majohnson

majohnson Member

I have an east facing full glass sliding door with full glass panel on each side, and a large glass panel on the corner next to the glass slider. Since I am home the majority of the time, placing outside to catch the morning sun is no problem. Since it needs to follow the seasonal changes, it can be placed outside durning the winter. I live in zone 9 and frost is not much of a problem.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, Mark-

may be if you leave the window open at all times. To just give you an example of the problem: last week I took a *** maple on the train that I had just bought in France - a Fujinami nishiki, very beautiful - it made the 4 hour trip but as I sat there I could see how the air conditioning affected the leaves : they started drying out on the edges pretty fast. A few more hours would have been pretty bad. I would think that you can't grow outdoor trees inside for humidity reasons alone. In addition the trees need the 'natural' environment for the changes they undergo throughout the year and that ensure their survival. having said that I have seen clever solutions where japanese maples were grown 'inside' a restaurant - really the place has no roof in the middle, and the maples are encased in glass. How long that works, I couldn't say. May be you could come up with such a solution. There have been a number of such 'experiments ' in new 'green' architecture. Worth a try, if sound maple wise.
    Schusch

3. majohnson

majohnson Member

Thanks for the input.