Paperbark Maple (Acer Griseum)

Discussion in 'Maples' started by celticlass69, Oct 12, 2005.

1. celticlass69

celticlass69 Member

Dear UBC;
    I live in a zone 6a location (southern Ontario, Canada). I had a paperbark maple planted yesterday in my front lawn (through a city run program).
    I realize that the best time to plant this variety of tree is the spring, however, this was beyond my control. I've put about 2 inches of mulch around the base of the tree and gave it a misting watering for about 1 hour yesterday. What I need to know is what else do I have to do to ensure its survival over the winter?
    I am a plant buff and really want to help this tree grow to its full potential.
    Thank You

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. karync

karync Member

Acer griseum

Is it adviseable to peel off the exfoliation of the bark to expose the orange, cinnamin color and it's smoothness?
    Would I be doing any harm to the tree?

K

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: Acer griseum

I would say to leave it alone. it will shed bark of its own will. pulling it off yourself could cause damage to the underlying tissues.

5. karync

karync Member

I am a buyer and am employed by a grower . I have been watching these gorgeous trees for years. Some are almost bare of the rough exterior bark and others seem more simular to a Betula jacquemonti.

Some acer griseum's even at 3-4cm caliper are smoother than the older ones. There doesn't seem to be a hard or fast rule of when the tree actually begins to show that characteristic.

For those in the Horticultural 'know' Is what I am seeing on the outside ( the cambium)
    One might assume that if the bark was sluffed off completely around the trunk , it might die. However, although it wouldn't be advisable to do.. my thought is that the outer layer is dead and no longer functional to the tree and what we see ( the brilliant cinnamon color ) is actually the most new layer of bark yet to be hardened off.

Does this tree continue to exfoliate the older layers of cambium?

Forgive me if this seems silly. I really want to know.
    K

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some close-barked paperbark maple seedlings on the market from time to time may actually be hybrids with related species, or not even paperbark maples at all. I think I have seen Acer triflorum offered here a few times as paperbark maple, for instance. Two suspected or known hybrids that have been named and put into commerce are Gingerbread ('Ginzam') and 'Girard's Selection'.

Directing a stream of water at dingy paper birch trunks works well, I would try that with the maple. If that didn't do the trick I would just leave it. I wouldn't do any peeling with fingers.

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Rubbing it off won't do any harm, but you are taking away the beauty of the tree .... its character
    Leave it alone and enjoy a special plant

8. PoorOwner

PoorOwner Active Member 10 Years

Acer Griseum

I would like to know the cultral condition of this tree. From what I read it says any well drained soil and ph tolerant.

What about the sun exposure. The concensus is that it can take full sun, but the vendor tells me it should use some afternoon shade in Livermore, CA. Would it grow it in full sun when established?

Lastly would I see some nice red fall color where I am, or is it too warm and it tends to turn brown?

Thanks