Phalaenopsis help...

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Eyeris, May 21, 2006.

1. Eyeris

Eyeris Active Member

I've had this orchid for 2 years now and have only seen it in bloom once. Whenever the potting mix is dry I let water run through the pot and let it drain well. The leaves are very healthy but just a couple days ago the stem started to turn yellow...It was repotted and I tried giving it orchid food a couple weeks ago. At this point I don't know whether to cut the stem off (if so how low to the leaves do I cut?) or let it be and conitnue to fertilize when I water....
    Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. Orchidguy

Orchidguy Member

Hello Eyeris,
    You seem to have a healthy phalaenopsis orchid pictured. To answer your question about how low to cut the old flower spike. Cut it off about an inch from the base of the plant. You said that your plant hadnt bloomed in two years. To initiate a flower spike with a phal., starting in Nov. or Dec., place the plant in a room..or even on a window sill that drops at least 15 degrees at NIGHT. Keep the plant in this night time temperature place for at least 2 weeks. At the end of the 2 weeks, place the orchid back into a warmer and brighter area..and wait for the flower spike to emerge from the base of the plant. This nighttime termperature drop at night signals the plant that a change of season has occured and the time is right for a flower spike to emerge.
    Hope this helps.
    Orchidguy

3. Eyeris

Eyeris Active Member

I'm so excited to try that!! Thanks for your help...Hopefully I'll get blooms again!!!