native herbaceous ID please

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by rosina, Jun 5, 2023.

1. rosina

rosina Member

I am hoping someone can help me identify this herbaceous plant.
    Leave opposite, ovate, serrate lobed
    Stem hollow, root red

Attached Files:

2. DerekK

DerekK Active Member

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Those do not produce leaves with slender tips and pointed marginal serrations.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

DerekK,s suggestions also do not have opposite leaves. It reminds me of our Hydrangia macrophylla.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

@rosina says "herbaceous" in the subject line, which should rule that out, though at this stage, it might be difficult to know that. Also note Ron B's comments about the marginal serrations, which rosina described as serrate lobed.
    Rosina, how do you know this is native? Where is it growing?

6. DerekK

DerekK Active Member

I took these photos this morning of a large area of Small Balsam. The leaves of Impatiens parviflora are definitely serrated. In Flora BC the taxonomic keys for I. parviflora include 2 descriptions of the leaves: "...finely and sharply saw-toothed..." and "...coarsely saw-toothed...".
    The 2 links included in my original reply also describe the leaves as toothed and serrated.
    A Google Image search will produce 1000's of photos and links all with serrated leaves and slender tips as shown in my photos.
    The leaves are alternate but it is difficult to see in photos.
    Could RonB please provide a link showing this to be incorrect?

IMG_0242.jpeg IMG_0241.jpeg IMG_0240.jpeg

IMG_0242.jpeg IMG_0241.jpeg IMG_0240.jpeg

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This isn't contributing to the "what are these leaves" topic of this thread, but I happened today to take a flower photo of Impatiens parviflora that I'm including here just because. It looks almost as large as the leaf, but it's not. Second photo is only to confirm that it's really small.
    Impatiens parviflora_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20230620_154237.jpg Impatiens parviflora_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20230620_154154.jpg

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I had (by chance) uprooted an Impatiens parviflora the other day. While doing some investigation into its adventitious roots, I was looking through a 1965 paper "Plant Growth and the Aerial Environment. IX. A Synopsis of the Autecology of Impatiens parviflora" -- and in it is the explanation of the opposite / alternate leaf arrangement that is causing some confusion:

So... that's why the young plant photos posted by original poster have opposite leaf arrangement at the base and are causing confusion when most of the literature records the leaves as being alternately-arranged.

Tyrlych and wcutler like this.