Gwen's Rose Delight/Shirazz'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by dicky5ash, May 31, 2023.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Has anyone else experienced a change in colour…my tree has constantly leafed out and remained a lovely pale pink for 2/3 years now ..no change of location… First photo is 2019, the other is today.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Yours is the palest pink I've seen R. Mine hasn't changed to this at all. It does get a lot of sun though.
    Is yours getting a lot of shade from your other maples? If so this could well be the cause.

dicky5ash likes this.
  3. dicky5ash

Thanks Derek - actually it’s in quite a bright spot and gets a few hours sun

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Just took these couple of photos of mine R. The above leaves are so much darker than those below that don't get as much sun as you can see. 2nd photo very similar to yours I think.... But not so pretty
    PXL_20230601_090405040.jpg PXL_20230601_090422341.jpg

dicky5ash likes this.
  5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't grow this but... compare it to 'Geisha'.

'Gwen's Rose Delight'/Shirazz is some sort of partial reversion of 'Geisha' (same as 'Geisha Gone Wild') so there is the possibility that it could have un-reverted back to the original Geisha look.

I am copying one of @amazingmaples 'Geisha' pics from this thread

[​IMG]

Acerholic and dicky5ash like this.
  6. dicky5ash

Thanks Maf. Sounds plausible, will see if it stays like this, it was a sudden change a few years ago..it’s location has not been changed for about 6 years.. makes me think it’s less likely to be sun exposure

maf likes this.
  7. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

My theory is that 'Geisha' has two types of variegation going on at the same time, which helps explain why there is so little chlorophyll present (it is also a slow grower). One of the types of variegation is much less stable than the other and when it loses this type it transforms into the edge variegation seen in 'Gwen's Rose Delight'/Shirazz (New Zealand discovery), 'Geisha Gone Wild' (American discovery) and the European discovery whose name escapes me at present. All are essentially the same relatively common partial reversion of 'Geisha' that has been observed independantly on many occasions other than the named introductions.

To have a plant that goes back to a 'Geisha' look from Shirazz etc. style seems much rarer than the other way round but who knows how many unreported cases there are out there?

If your plant turns out to be the same as 'Geisha' the upside is that it will be bigger than your typical 'Geisha' as it built up its structure when in Shirazz mode with more chlorophyll present. Presumably it will only grow very slowly while in 'Geisha' mode.

dicky5ash likes this.
  8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I have two.

The first one is about 1,20 m. tall and is getting quite leggy. Needs repotting and pruning next spring. Early May (in the shade) and today, after a couple of weeks in full sun (the colours are not true, it's more pink) :

acerp-gwensro_230506a.jpg acerp-gwensro_230602a.jpg

The second one is quite small, in almost full shade. It was pale pink and now is turning mainly green :

acerp-gwensro-2_230506a.jpg acerp-gwensro-2_230602a.jpg

The colours are very different...

dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  9. dicky5ash

Very good - I’ve not seen them green like that

AlainK likes this.
  10. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Mine is still quite bright pink but gets lots of sun. Picture of this morning. In shady parts it is lighter though, like yours.

Attached Files:

dicky5ash, AlainK and Acerholic like this.