Suggestions for improving this Shade Bed ?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by dt-van, May 8, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I knew nothing about Zingiber mioga, but I was looking at the Garden Explorer Map - Map | UBC Botanical Garden - in the area where Geranium species were featured in this month's blog, and noticed the name and looked it up, then checked them out today. Then I looked to see if they had been posted (no, they have not). These were accessioned in 2001, so they've been there for 22 years. They seem well-behaved.
    Zingiber mioga_UBCBG_Cutler_20230602_135704.jpg Zingiber mioga_UBCBG_Cutler_20230602_135706.jpg

2. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

Just looking at your space, it cries out for something lowish, and rounded. Any one of the lovely smaller rhodos, a pretty gold leaved Spirea (esp if you move that Lonicera nitida). Consider moving the Lonicera, replacing it with an upright yew, perhaps Irish Yew, which has pretty bright green new needles, and planting the Spirea or a big Hosta between them. It is not a big space, and would benefit from fewer, but more striking, plants.

3. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

Acerholic, sorry to say that what your pictures show is NOT Hosta 'Patriot' but rather Hosta 'Revolution'. 'Patriot' is an edge-variegated variety, just for fun, check out the side-by-side comparison of these two varieties, which incidentally are related. 'Revolution' is out of 'Loyalist' which is out of 'Patriot'. For me 'Revolution' has a penchant for throwing all-green sports that I've given the garden-name "Green Revolution" and it has proven to be a vigorous grower and can make an impressive display when mature. patriot-comparison.jpg

Georgia Strait likes this.
  4. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

While we are at it, I planted a bunch of white and green Hostas in a side garden that is a bit low on light...they look so pretty and refreshing in a group like that. My fave turned out to be Hosta "Snake Eyes"...so incredibly gorgeous I planted it where I could see it daily!

Attached Files:

Georgia Strait and Pieter like this.