Has my Japanese snowbell tree died?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by bharmala, Apr 26, 2023.

1. bharmala

bharmala New Member

I've noticed that my Japanese snowbell tree hasn't started to bud or grow leaves even though my two neighbours' trees have been growing already for several weeks (see photo; one neighbor's tree with lots of leaves growing beside). I also tried a 'scratch test' on a number of central branches/the tree trunk and didn't find a green living layer under the exterior bark. Is there still hope for a tree like this and is it worth waiting out further? Or is it time to think about taking the tree down now?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The others are not very advanced looking themselves - you'll just have to wait a bit and see if yours comes along a little later.

3. bharmala

bharmala New Member

Thank you, Ron. Still no growth a few days later. I'll give it a bit longer.

4. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

Be grateful if it has!! I deeply regret planting two in our streetside bed. They seed bountifully and the seedlings are tenacious. I wish now I had planted one of the more delicate dogwoods!