Acer palmatum 'Koyasan'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my little Acer palmatum 'Koyasan ', it is kept in partial shade for most of the day in my garden. This photo today 24th July 2020 shows the leaves looking happy after overnight rain. Autumn is not far away and I will post the colours this cultivar gives then.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

31st July 2020, you can now see the scarlet tips emerging on my Koyasan.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

7th August 2020, rain through the night thankfully, as it's going to be the hottest day this year in the UK. I will post my maples during and after this heatwave.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Day three of extreme heat 36° C, the regular updates as promised. Today expected to be hotter.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    One month on and my Koyasan has coped with everything that has been thrown at it. Getting ready a little for Autumn now compared to others.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

1st October 2020 and the colours are coming. Plus of course with this crazy year, new growth.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

13th October 2020 and the leaves are giving such a show atm. Sadly my camera bleaches them a bit. But still very pretty.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

18th October 2020 and my Koyasan has the most wonderful combination of reds and yellows. A touch of early dew and what could be better IMO.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

20th October 2020 and everything is moving along now. Colours emerging every day. Couldn't help but post another of my Koyasan. So cheerful this morning..

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

24th October 2020, the rain has just started and tbe wind speed increasing rapidly. So took this to show that Koyasan gives and gives until the end.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

26th October 2020 and they are about to dissapear for another season, but they gave given me so much joy.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  12. Acerholic

28th April 2021 and my first posting of my Koyasan this year. It is showing an exceptionally good leafing out, even though we have suffered awful frosts for nearly a whole month and NO rain.
    Koyasan 207.JPG

13. Acerholic

6th May 2021 and this one can be very sensitive to the harsh frosts, so I have paid particular attention to the late night and early morning spraying with rain water. Seems to be working!!
    Koyasan 218.JPG

14. Acerholic

20th May 2021 and some new growth on my Koyasan, all very slow this year, but it's on the way now.
    Koyasan 233.JPG

15. Acerholic

19th July 2021 and two months since my last posting of my Koyasan and today it is showing that it is doing very well tbh and especially as it's in over 30° C heat.
    Koyasan 304.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  16. Acerholic

18th August 2021 and Autumnal colours have already started on my Koyasan.
    Koyasan 350.JPG

17. Acerholic

22nd April 2022, better late than never. Only a few leaves atm, but they are here for another year.
    Koyasan 22nd April 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  18. Acerholic

4th May 2022 and the unmistakable leaf shape of Koyasan is now there to see more clearly.
    Koyasan May 4th 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  19. Acerholic

6th November 2022 and my Koyasan was looking quite nice in the sunshine after the showers today.
    Koyasan 6th November 2022.JPG

20. Acerholic

3rd June 2023 and first photos of my Koyasan this year for the thread.
    PXL_20230603_111658255.jpg PXL_20230603_111725012.jpg

AlainK likes this.
  21. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Aren't your trees turning to autumn colours a bit too early ? This is the case with some of mine.

22. Acerholic

This is it's Spring colours Alain. But I understand what you mean, as the strong drying northerly winds is starting to wreak havoc on my more delicate maples.

23. Acerholic

1st November 2023 and the sun came out just at the right time on my Koyasan.

PXL_20231101_114152059.jpg PXL_20231101_114111745.jpg

24. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Is this the same as "Momoiro koya-san" ?...

25. Acerholic

Hi Alain, no its just Koyasan, I have been asked this before. Momoiro Koyasan goes red in Autumn. I did buy this several years back and was assured it is a sport from momoiro. Definatly always golden in fall.

AlainK likes this.