Acer palmatum 'Sumi nagashi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Laurie, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Aesthetically I think it's perfect Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  2. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Those reds are starting to deepen a bit now. Looking forward to a bit later into summer when they turn almost purpleish against the bright red new growth:

20220528 Suminagashi.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

I'm training mine for height, but I hope you don't change a thing with yours Xi. It's perfect.

Xi-feng likes this.
  4. Xi-feng

Thank you, D! Normally I'm all about height too, but this one has such a lovely lean to the main trunk I'm just leaving it alone and letting it do exactly what it wants. It seems to have a plan in mind - who am I to get in the way?

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Xi-feng

Those colours are starting to darken into summer. This one turned almost purple last year: I wonder what it'll do in its new spot:

20220602 Suminagashi.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

Just look beautiful to that question Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  7. Xi-feng

Feels like it's filled out and is making the most of its sunnier spot this year:

20220625 Suminagashi.jpg

Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  8. Xi-feng

Almost all the reds in my garden have now turned to deep greens, but not this one. Suminagashi keeps those colours going strong, and it's actually looking better than my Bloodgood at this point in the year. I think it's actually my favourite red, just for how beautifully it maintains these colours through midsummer:

20220813 Suminagashi-1.jpg 20220813 Suminagashi-2.jpg

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  9. Xi-feng

Seeing out the year in a blaze of glory:

20221008 Suminagashi.jpg

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  10. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience growing this one in full sun?

11. Acerholic

Yes C, mine is in full sun and loves it.

Cattwooduk likes this.
  12. Cattwooduk

Thanks.
    My Shaina I bought last year isn't looking too happy about leafing out so far, so I'm using it as an excuse to buy something new to go in that space!

13. Acerholic

Everything in the UK is a little slower this year compared to 2022. So perhaps give Shaina a little more time. !!?

14. Cattwooduk

It's more that it's leafed out but quite a few branches pushed growth which then just went floppy and fell off, and discoloration on the stems. I've cut all those out and the rest looks fine but I'm going to keep an eye on it. The same thing has happened on my Jerre Schwartz but to a greater extent. I noticed most of the Shaina and some of the Jerre Schwartz have the same thing at the garden centre again this year - I posted pictures of the same growth of the forum last year. I'm thinking maybe these brooms are just prone to some weak growth each year like this. If they get too ratty I'll probably just bin them and not bother again.

15. Acerholic

AHH understood C. But Jerre Schwartz and Shaina are not known as being a weak trees. Quite the opposite IMHO.
    If both came from the same garden centre, then the problem is there. Sometimes garden centres do not look after their maples, ie full sun and not watered correctly. This weakens the trees and allows for diseases to get a hold.
    So, for JS and Shaina, put them in a shadier spot for this year, ( away from other maples) don't over water or feed and monitor. Also keep an eye out for blackening stems, If you do cut any off, take a look for dark rings in the cross section. This is a sign of Verticillium wilt. It they do have that then I would dispose asap.

16. Cattwooduk

As an update I moved the JS into shade and gave it a low % feed, but still chased the dying portions further and further back into the plant and ended up binning it as it looked rediculous.
    The Shaina I made space for in the ground, full sun and within 2 weeks it had started putting out loads of new growth and now looks very happy! They were from 2 different places.

Still haven't got round to planting out the Suminagashi I bought yet!

17. Acerholic

Glad to hear your Shaina is doing well C.
    Re Jerre Schwartz, I think it's a garden centre thing tbh and not your care.