Palmettos of central Florida Toxicity

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Ariana Morris, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Ariana Morris

Ariana Morris New Member

I apologize if this is not a suitable question, but I have come up empty of answers in many google searches and facebook groups.

I have two caique parrots and they are BIG chewers who need a constant supply of wood to keep their beaks trim and keep them happy.
    I live on 5 acres in central Florida and we have an abundance of palmettos of various types. The stalks are the perfect texture for satisfactory beak destruction.
    To my knowledge the woody stems/stalks are perfectly safe, but in an abundance of caution, I am trying to verify this.
    Now, we have several different kinds, and I have tried to educate myself on which is which, but they look so different at different stages, and yet the different varietyies have so many similarties. I can take some pictures, if there's a difference in wood safety. To be clear, I am talking about the "stalk" which is a green, hard and thick stem to which the frond is directly attached.

If anyone can help me in determining if the stalks (the green stalks that the palms are attached to) are safe for parrots, I'd be extremely grateful. We usually have long lists of "safe wood for parrots" and unsafe woods, and I am not sure what makes some wood safe and some others not. Palm fronds are not on the list as either safe or unsafe, and other places I have sought info, such as parrot groups, just tell me "Don't use, why risk it?" 20230129_114301.jpg 20230129_114313.jpg 20230129_114326.jpg

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums!

Yes, it is frustrating to seek---and NOT find--- an answer that seems as if it should be straightforwardly simple.

I think that your palmetto stalks should be OK.
    As you own the plants and land upon which they grow, you will know of any chemical applications---such as fertilizer or insecticide---that would be an absolute NO.

One reason a particular wood might be deemed 'safe' or 'unsafe' could be its texture---hardness or lack thereof. From your post, it sounds as if this aspect would be caique-friendly as well.

Below, 2 links that may be of use/interest:

Ultimate list of 1,400+ bird-safe and toxic plants - Free Range Parrots

My sabal palmetto has few holes made from birds. Should I be worried?

(I have 3 parakeets whom I suspect of somehow being related to BEAVERS.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  3. Ariana Morris

Ariana Morris New Member

Thank you! Yes, the texture of these stalks is extra satisfying to my birds. The "wood" kind of shreds, which is what seems to make them happy (They're cavity dwellers in the wild).
    I'll be checking those links. many thanks for your reply.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years