Acer pentaphyllum

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by mendocinomaples, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Love this one M, to have one is wonderful but 3.......Thats just fantastic. Very envious.

2. Kodama05

Kodama05 New Member

Dear members, can someone send Penta seeds to me?
    I would really appreciate it, and will pay the posting cost of course.

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Sorry, I got mine as seedlings. The one I have left, today :

acer-penta_221207a.jpg

maf and Kodama05 like this.
  4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

If mine ever get old enough, and thrive enough, to produce seeds I will gladly share them. Watch this space (in about 10 years time!)

Just ahead of the first properly frosty weather I put them into the (unheated) greenhouse yesterday. Currently I have 3 that are several years old and 2 young ones heading into their first winter. All leaves dropped some time ago so no pictures to post.

One of the older ones has some semi-healed bark dieback around the base of the trunk; luckily it does not seem to be girdled, and there is evidence of healthy wound wood. I have seen similar damage on young potted maples when grubs have eaten the roots and started on the lower cambium when they ran out of food - I am not sure if this is the case here or if it has been caused by some sort of oomycete or fungus. They had a dose of vine weevil nematodes at the end of September so hopefully that is the end of it!

AlainK likes this.