ID required please

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by davidgrayson, Nov 10, 2022.

1. davidgrayson

davidgrayson Member

Growing in Victoria. Mounding, 2' high. Blooming now.
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Tricyrtis...?

AlainK likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Ladies (and gentlemen), good day ;°)

It does have a ressemblance with Tricyrtis, including the leaves. Mine has spotted petals, but I guess other varieties could look a bit different...

tricyrtis_161112a.jpg tricyrtis_191011b.jpg tricyrtis_200911a.jpg

Maybe Tricyrtis 'Tojen' :
    Tricyrtis 'Tojen'

PS: I enlarged the photo, and yes, to me it's Tricyrtis. Good guess Togata57...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't think the 'Tojen' cultivar, which is described at Tricyrtis 'Tojen' - Plant Finder (missouribotanicalgarden.org) as having the largest leaves of any Tricyrtis in cultivation and showing leaves looking very different from the ones shown in the first posting. It's interesting to see a toad lily with unspotted leaves, though. That page suggests that the spots are what gives it its common name.

AlainK likes this.
  5. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

wcutler likes this.
  6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

At first I did not recognize it...but I kept hearing a cosmic voice saying 'You DO know this plant!'
    Something familiar about it....

So I spent a while contemplating the flower...and its distinctively-shaped parts...until I realized I was looking at a (solid-color) relative of my own (spotted) toad lily, resident of my back yard for many years.
    Since I moved it from a shady location to a sunny one, it has shown its approval by enthusiastic growth and profuse flowering: this year was its best ever. Beautiful!

Silver surfer and wcutler like this.
  7. Silver surfer

I find it helps to really zoom in.
    Original image blown up...then detail/markings can be seen

IMG_2653.jpg

AlainK and wcutler like this.
  8. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

I got a mail-order selection of un-named varieties of Trycirtis this spring, all 3 flowered and one of the 3 sure looks like the subject one. Curious to find out what its name is...
    20221015_161211.jpg

AlainK likes this.
  9. wcutler

@Pieter, the photo you posted looks just like the enlargement Silver surfer posted of the subject one. It doesn't seem we really know a lot about Tricyrtis cultivars, but since leaf size differs, it might help to see a photo of the leaves with the flowers, and also the whole plant, or at least know how tall it grows.

10. Silver surfer

There are many named cultivars..new ones are being introduced all the time.
    Very hard to put an accurate name to them.

AlainK likes this.
  11. Pieter

Good thought, Wendy. However, this is a first year plant - was bare-root - and what I have of it as a plant certainly is not representative of what it hopefully will be, eventually. Of the three I potted up this one was the smallest and there wasn't a lot of top growth, was surprised actually to see it in bloom. There was only the one flower. The other two I have are reminiscent of the one Alain posted. I've planted probably planted ten Trycirtis over the years and none of them ever made it into year 3. Guess I never found the right spot for them but I do like their flowers so I keep trying....

12. Pieter

That's like hostas. There's well over 10,000 named varieties and one of the problems is that the same sport may show up in 2 or 3 different locales and they all receive a different name. It's a challenge indeed to try and figure out a given NOID - no ID - hosta and to that end there are resources available on the internet that will let you dig through that vast repository of pictured hosta varieties called the Hosta Library to help with the process. There's also dedicated forums and of course a Facebook group, all of which serve to help figure out what hosta it is you have in front of you.

AlainK likes this.
  13. wcutler

Pieter, maybe this one will make it, and next year you can show us the leaves and the arrangement of the flowers. That seems to differ too.

14. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Peter,

Don't you think that even better ?

Plants can look very different depending on their local environment, others even develop side-branches more adapted to the location.

A lot of us like this "special seedling", easier to find with "Japanese maples" in your garden than other plants. But maybe that's a specimen that deserves being kept, and repoduced to see if it keeps any sign of "originality". It's easy to reproduce by root-cuttings, or separating the different plants from the "mother-plant".

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  15. Silver surfer

In our old garden they did best in woodland in damp, acid soil in dappled shade...rather sheltered
    Here they thrived to form very large patches.
    White Towers was beautiful..white with pink anthers.
    TRICYRTIS  WHITE  TOWERS 12-09-2010 16-03-25.JPG TRICYRTIS  WHITE  TOWERS 15-09-2010 14-42-44.JPG TRICYRTIS  WHITE  TOWERS 15-09-2010 14-42-56.JPG TRICYRTIS  WHITE  TOWERS 15-09-2010 14-43-36.JPG

AlainK and wcutler like this.