Acer palmatum 'Aoyagi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Kaitain4, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

Any possibility of some fall colour photos of this one please, if it hasn't dropped everything already!

I almost picked one of these up yesterday but bought an Oregon Sunset instead.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Not much change in colour on mine C. But here is a quick pic for you.
    PXL_20221028_103402731.jpg
    I have mostly found everything has either dropped quickly or gone from green to a muddy brown this year. The Summer of 22 in the South of England has taken it's toll.

3. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

It's yellow, mine is just starting to turn now. I'll post a pic soon.

Cattwooduk likes this.
  4. Cattwooduk

Yes the same for me, one or two things have had amazing colour - Sango Kaku and Inaba Shidare have looked good, but everything else seems to have just thrown all their leaves off as if to say right I'm done with the stress of this year, time to rest!

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Cattwooduk

Lovely thanks.

Would the consensus be it's a cultivar to invest in? I've given up any pretence I have space for what I have growing on now so I may as well embrace the muddle.

6. LoverOfMaples

It's a nice cultivar @Cattwooduk. Its a decent grower if you have the space. Are you picking between something else?

Cattwooduk likes this.
  7. Acerholic

@Cattwooduk I agree with D @LoverOfMaples it's a nice cultivar, but I know a lot of family and friends walk right past it to look at others in my collection. I enjoy it very much and it is quite hardy, but there are other maples out there that draw the eye a little more.

Cattwooduk likes this.
  8. Cattwooduk

Not necessarily. I had been looking at several individual plants I put to one side as I don't have them and there were a few particularly nicely shaped examples of - Fireglow, Aoyagi, ornatum, Orangeola, Peve Dave, vitifolium and Oregon Sunset.

I bought the last 2 but may well end up with more this weekend!

9. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ayoagi a nice cultivar yes but needs to be in the ground , potted ones tend to be a bit hit and miss i find , then the trick is to be able to find a nice red which will be able to keep up with it in the fall because it's a very slow shower come the fall time. Added a picture of mine from today and it's only just starting to change , early November time before it comes alive where most of my reds are already gone !! Second picture is from last fall stunning yellow colours though. Good ground grower as well.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Cattwooduk

It puts me in mind of a more spreading version of Japanese Sunrise.
    If it's better in the ground I'll leave it for now, that space is at a premium!

11. LoverOfMaples

I agree with @ROEBUK . The ground is the way to go with this one!

12. LoverOfMaples

Mine starting to change now
    20221028_170625.jpg

Cattwooduk, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  13. Cattwooduk

It reminds me slightly of Elegans, which is another one I picked up about a month ago. Comparing pictures though I think Elegans might have slightly nicer autumn colours and a slightly more graceful leaf shape IMO. But I haven't had it long enough to really enjoy it through a few seasons!

14. LoverOfMaples

Im still waiting on my 'Elegans' to color.

15. LoverOfMaples

Ok. I made mistake here on this post. I posted the wrong tree. The tree above is 'Peridot Flame'. I apologize @Cattwooduk.

This is my 'Aoyagi'

20221106_142126.jpg

20221106_132751.jpg

20221106_132805.jpg

Leaf shape is totally different from 'Peridot Flame'(R) and 'Elegans' (L) .

20221030_100119.jpg

maf, Cattwooduk, AlainK and 1 other person like this.
  16. Cattwooduk

So it turns out my memory had failed me between being at the garden centre and then posting here about the tree I was looking at. I think I had looked at so many I totally drew a blank on the names

It wasn't Aoyagi at all, it was in fact 'Ichygoji' which I went back the following week and purchased.

I gave in to the spontaneous maple purchasing and also bought a few more, so along with the Oregon Sunset from the week before that's 6 in a couple of weeks now... Oops!
    They've all dropped leaf now so nothing especially worth posting besides the fact I picked a couple of them for the structure.
    I'm also looking at one or two from Stephen Roff on eBay again.

17. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

You were originally asking about the fall colour so I wanted to mention that you will in no way be disappointed with 'Ichigyo ji'! Intense fiery orange here, one of the best every year, though I have heard it tends more to yellow in shade.

I was going to take a picture of 'Aoyagi' fall colour for you but by the time I got out to it most of the leaves had dropped. For the record it is very yellow without even the slightest hint of red or orange. I agree with @ROEBUK above you need a good red to pair with 'Aoyagi' for fall colour contrast, but 'Ichigyo ji' can shine by itself or in combination with any and all rivals.

I did wonder when I saw post #37 lol, glad you set the record straight. I have an 'Aoyagi' here and foliage is fairly typical palmatum type, what used to be called subspecies palmatum, roughly similar in size and shape to 'Sango kaku'.

I find the reputation in some books as a green winter bark companion to the red bark of 'Sango kaku' to be a bit of a stretch, but it is true to say the young bark is a pleasant light green and I have never observed the slightest hint of red/pink/orange in either the bark or the leaves.

Cattwooduk and LoverOfMaples like this.
  18. Acerholic

9th November 2023 and my Aoyagi just turned overnight.
    PXL_20231109_123735102.jpg

19. Acerholic

21st April 2024 and as this was discussed on the forum with Ukon I thought I would post these two of my Aoyagi.
    PXL_20240421_134555152.jpg PXL_20240421_134549063.jpg