Brown Stink Bugs

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by Ross Arbo, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Ross Arbo

Ross Arbo New Member

I've noticed a lot of stink bugs in my back yard this year; way more than previous years.
    I happened to see one fly over to a purple flower Buddleja bush I have in the corner of my yard. When I went to investigate I noticed there were 20-30 stink bugs on the bush.
    I don't think the stink bugs are doing any harm but they are pretty gross/ugly. Any recommendations on getting rid of them (without chemicals)? I see there is a pheromone trap (link here brown marmorated stink bug - Halyomorpha halys) but wondered if anyone local has advice.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Make sure the bug is what you think it is. Have a look at this thread: Stinkbug.

3. Ross Arbo

Ross Arbo New Member

Attached Files:

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

After reading the start of this thread yesterday, I did a little research on stink bugs in BC and started looking at them more carefully while harvesting my pole beans today. I quickly found several types, including a couple of BMSB. I agree that they seem to be far more abundant than previously but haven't noticed any damage from them so far. A couple of what looked like Rough Stink Bugs came into the house last night; I gather that more of them will be seeking such shelter as the weather cools more.

6. Ross Arbo

Ross Arbo New Member

Yes I'm also not seeing much/any damage outside but I'd like to get a handle on them now before they try to seek shelter in/around my house this winter.
    I tried the defensive approach the last two nights with a tray of soapy water lit from above; no luck. So this morning I went with a more offensive approach. I set up at the Buddleja bush (which seems to be the main host) armed with my shop-vac and managed to capture about 20 in a couple of minutes. They seem to be less active and slower, maybe due to the cooler morning, and were easily sucked up in the vacuum. I dumped them in the soapy water and within 10 minutes they were done.

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I would think that this Brown Marmorated Stink Bug could find a better place to hang out than inside in my apartment. I saw this one (I hope it's the very same one) three days ago on my Costa plant and forgot all about it until it dropped onto my hand tonight. I've sent these photos to the link provided by @Ross Arbo above.
    BrownMarmoratedStinkBug_home_wcutler_20230129_195800.jpg BrownMarmoratedStinkBug_home_wcutler_20230129_202811.jpg