Identification: Tree philodendron Weird damage to leaves

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Ev Jones, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Ev Jones

Ev Jones New Member

I have had my bipinnatifidum for about 6-8 months and decided to put it out this summer. I live in zone 5 so it started doing really well. It grew out of all the old leaves and started getting big. I have it in a 12-gallon pot with fox farm soil and nice drainage. I have recently noticed scattered yellowish spots on all leaves, when the light shines on the back of a leaf, you can see a lot of the damage. And the back of the leaves looks like something was eating it, Iv never seen any kind of bug or mite on it. I'm concerned about the expansion of it, it seems like the damage just keeps spreading. Does anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it? Thank you! I appreciate anyone who can help or has any info!
    F2785053-612D-47E6-AE47-4DEA290EC146.jpeg F88DB83C-F44A-43D2-9623-F5122466ACBC.jpeg
    58D9504E-6A26-4C8A-9514-4BC7B33E1EEB.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Ev Jones

Ev Jones New Member

Hi can someone please help

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm sorry no-one is replying to this. It's had lots of views, so presumably no-one has an answer. After you bring it back inside, it will be interesting to see what the next new leaves are like. These plants would normally grow in shaded conditions. I wonder if it's too bright and too dry where it is outside.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

According to How to Grow Philodendron species, Exotic Rainforest rare tropical plants:
    The article also suggested "It is best to keep them below 90 degrees F". FWIW, my Pilea peperomioides developed a leaf spotting problem when grown in too much sun.

Reference: Philodendron bipinnatifidum Schott ex Endl, Philodendron bipinnatifidum does climb trees, Philodendron selloum, Exotic Rainforest rare tropical plants