Can I leave the hose running at the bottom of the Emerald Cedar?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Cathleen201, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Cathleen201

Cathleen201 New Member

I reside in the province of BC, Canada. During the summer I would hold the hose nozzle while watering my Emerald Cedar. But one day I was lazy and left it at the bottom of the tree on the ground and the water kept running for a long time. Lots of water was overflowing from the roots. From the picture I attached, you can see that the water was flowing out.

I would like to know if this is also a correct way to water my Emerald Cedar. Is it possible for me to water this way every time? Is it healthy to the roots of this tree? Maybe it's harmful for the tree? If it's not the correct way, then I will not do it again.

upload_2022-8-8_22-56-49.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2022
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Instead of causing a flood with puddling each time install a drip line or soaker hose.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  3. Cathleen201

Cathleen201 New Member

Thank you for your reply, curently I don't have the budget to install one,.
    Is it harmful for the roots?

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Watering the way shown may work if the water gets to all of the roots in the hedge, but it is illegal if you don't use a timer and water only between 5 AM to 9 AM. Here is the website that defines current watering regulations: Lawn Watering Regulations. Your method would probably work better if you hoed or built a small berm around the hedge roots and directed the water to one end (high side if sloping) of the resulting basin.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  5. Cathleen201

Cathleen201 New Member

Hi vitog, thank you for your advice