Macadamia Nut Tree Re-potting question

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by 82Stang, May 14, 2006.

1. 82Stang

82Stang Member

I first planted the seed on February 20th and I noticed that it sprouted on April 22nd. Would now be a good time to re-pot this seedling? The stem is 80 millimeters from top to the top of the soil, the largest leaf is 75 millimeters long, and the smallest leaf is 40 millimeters long?

Attached Files:

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

You can prick out seedlings when they get their first set of true leaves (usually the second leaves to open) so it looks to me like yours is ready to move into its first pot on its own (im assuming thats the pot with all the seeds in) hold the seedling by its seed leaves, never touch the stem gently ease it out of the pot, using a small fork (i often use a dinner type fork, if i cant find my two pronged dibber tool) make a whole just deep enough for the root (not too deep, you dont want to leave an air space under the root) gently firm it in and water.
    pot size should be the same as the one its in, i wouldn't go any bigger.

3. 82Stang

82Stang Member

Thanks for the advice Oscar!

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Humm....Oscar, what's this "never touch the stem" info? Does it specifically apply to Macadamia for any partiular reason, or nut trees in general?
    Curious since I've not heard of that.

Thanks & cheers, LPN.

5. oscar

oscar Active Member

It applies to all seedlings, the stems are quite fragile, too much pressure on the very delicate vascular system and you could literally crush it to death (an experienced person probably could prick out, holding the stem)........As our friend has only one very expensive seedling its safer to do it the begginers way.

Its also a good way of judging you have the roots loose enough as you remove the plant (if the roots arn't eased enough the seed leaf will tear)

following sites give advice on pricking out (yahoo search using pricking out seedlings)
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michelle.maddox/gardening/pricking_out_seedlings.htm

http://www.satorigardens.net/propagating_pricking.php

6. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello,

If that is the only seedling in the pot and you are not expecting any other seedlings to emerge you can leave the plant in the pot it is currently growing in. It will be ready to transfer to a new pot as the roots reach the wall of its current pot. To test this gently squeeze the sides of the pot and tilt the pot on its side with your hand over the top of the soil and your fingers around, but not squeezing the stem of the plant. Give the bottom a tap. If the soil in the pot slides out as one single mass you will see roots on the edges of the soil. In this case it is ready to transplant. You do not need to remove the entire root ball to observe this. If the soil begins to fall out there is no roots holding it together and you should give the plant more time to establish. Do not be too anxious though. If your seedling just sprouted on April 22 it will need more time to develop a root system.

As Oscar mentioned, if the seedling is in a pot with other seeds, you will want to remove it sooner than later.

Raakel