Glyptostrobus pensilis, Chinese Water Cypress, Grows in Wheaton

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by davidrt28, Jul 25, 2022.

1. davidrt28

davidrt28 Member

Well, for some reason pointing out this tree got my post shadow banned at "Garden Web". Go figure! Anyhow, I don't plan to start a large number of threads here but this tree is noteworthy for its overall rarity in "Western" collections. I see that, other than a thread misidentifying one at a nursery in Thailand(!), it's never been discussed here before. TBH I'm surprised how many records are found here, including other zone 7 public gardens like the Scott Arboretum: Multisite search page
    There's even a record of a cultivar! New York Botanical Gardens Search Results
    It has certainly never been common in the nursery trade.

This is at Brookside Gardens in Wheaton, MD, a frost hollow that has definitely seen < 0F/-18C multiple times. I first saw this tree roughly 15 years ago and it has grown a lot since then. It looks healthier than the Pinus strobus to the left of it! This one is pretty nice looking, even compared to the examples found by Messrs. Rushford et al: Glyptostrobus pensilis - Trees and Shrubs Online

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You haven't mentioned the botanical name in the text, so I wanted to put it in to make this posting more findable on a search, but I'm a little confused.
    From a search for Pond Cypress, I'm only getting the name Taxodium ascendens, but your link is to Glyptostrobus pensilis.

3. davidrt28

davidrt28 Member

Oh my gosh. Typed the wrong common name! I guess there's no way to edit the title? I meant to type "water cypress". Indeed "Pond Cypress" is used as the common name for the US species.

Looks like "Water pine" is the closest to a translation of the Chinese common name - so that would be best if you can re-name it. Even though to science it is clearly more of a cypress.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Checking this out, I see Chinese swamp cypress, also at Glyptostrobus pensilis - Wikipedia and Glyptostrobus pensilis - Plant Finder (missouribotanicalgarden.org) though at the top they give the common name as Chinese water-pine; Glyptostrobus pensilis / Chinese Water Pine / Chinese Swamp Cypress | Conifer Species | American Conifer Society gives what you see here. This British page gives Chinese water fir: Glyptostrobus pensilis | Threatened Conifers of the World (en-GB) (rbge.org.uk). There's lots of room on the subject line. I'll rename it.

5. davidrt28

davidrt28 Member

Thanks!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I saw what I believed to be water pines at this location some years ago. I think their trunks are shown on this page:

Home - Hidden Forest Nursery Inspiring thriving gardens in Northern California's shade since 1964.

Otherwise Seattle tree expert A. L. Jacobson measured one 65' tall elsewhere in California before or during 2007. See under Big tree here:

Glyptostrobus pensilis (water pine) description (conifers.org)

Regarding the name Taxodium ascendens see under Taxonomic notes here:

Taxodium distichum var. imbricarium (pondcypress) description (conifers.org)

7. davidrt28

davidrt28 Member

Thank Ron. I didn't know Sonoma Horticultural had rebranded. Hope they are able to keep most of Polo's legacy alive...it was surely one of the most impressive private collections of plants I've ever seen. I went there twice but there were so many amazing plants I probably walked right past the Glyptostrobus without noticing.

Speaking of pond cypresses though, it's worth noting this Chinese tree is actually healthier looking than some native Taxodium ascendens elsewhere at Brookside.

Anyhow I have a little one and I'm thrilled that it will probably prove hardy here. Knock on wood but I'm surely less likely to have subzero F° cold than Brookside Gardens. The Stadler family, Swiss immigrants and owners of a local nursery empire, supposedly quipped "why would you create a garden in a frost pocket" when the state asked for them to donate the land for Brookside. It is of course where Barry Yinger got his start and has various Asian rarities that are his mark. Including a large Sycopsis tree I took a picture of, too. As often seems to happen to such facilities, they lose those earlier, visionary founders and I didn't see anything recently planted that made me say "wow".

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Done!