What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Just after 10 p.m. at night here....an incredible thunderstorm is underway. Just counted 18 lightning strikes in one minute. Doesn't matter where you look, lightning is everywhere! And the thunder is really BOOMING! Just amazing. I hope is doesn't spawn any forest fires. About a 50/50 split between lightning that is in the clouds and that which comes out of the ground. Now here's the rainstorm as well!

Margot and maf like this.
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I love thunderstorms but have never encountered one like you describe. You are so lucky to be in the front seat! Hopefully no fires result.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  3. Keith Elliott

Margot, I have never seen a storm like this before. Sometimes there are five flashes in three seconds. It's truly unbelievable. Poor Val doesn't much care for all this excitement sad to say. We stood out on the back deck for about 15 minutes during the height of the action. Finally came inside looking like a pair of drowned rats. The main areas to get hit appeared to be St.Ives, which is about 8 kms to the east of us. Then right on top of us, and those strikes generated so much noise as to shake the house. Then over towards Lee Creek/Scotch Creek area, where it appeared that most of the strikes were in contact with the ground. Miraculously, we didn't lose our power!

Margot likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

37°c at 1700hrs in my garden this evening. Not just my trees wilting !!!!

Margot and Keith Elliott like this.
  5. Margot

I've been following the stories of terrible heat you and others are experiencing. It sounds like tomorrow could be a record-breaker.,

Until last summer's heat dome here, I had never felt such hot weather. I certainly empathize and hope that it doesn't last long - for your sake and your garden's.

Otto Bjornson and Keith Elliott like this.
  6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Our high today was 37.6C, at 17h31. It was "miserable hot" -- 40C in the valley -- and worse because, after almost 2 years of trying to coordinate them, masons and joiners showed up to work on new windows; today of all days. They took out existing windows to do the masonry of the frames, some of the new will be put in tomorrow. So, our normally cool house was open to the elements... but we did OK anyway, lots of cold from the floors and walls, it was manageable downstairs with just shutters and curtains.

I think it's below 23 inside now, but the really amazing thing is: it is 28.6C at midnight exactly!!! I'm sure I've never seen that. A few years ago that would have been a very hot summer's day, indeed. A few nights ago, the minimum was 10C.

The garden is really suffering.

Tomorrow is meant to be a bit less hot, but very hot none the less. Hard to believe it will be less starting from here... I understand that in the UK it will be even hotter than today. most probably. Stay in the shade, my British friends.

The weather is forecast to break Tues night, though the temperatures will stay in the high 20's. May it be so, that's bearable.

7. Keith Elliott

It's a good thing you're on the coast Margot. At least you have the ocean to moderate your heat. We have a big lake here, but it didn't seem to help us much. As for Derek and company in the UK, I hope it doesn't last too long for you.

Acerholic and Margot like this.
  8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

We didn't reach 40 yesterday. Only 39.6...

9. Acerholic

Thanks Keith, but tbh It's our turn, as I remember the PNW had it last year. Temperature at 0930hrs is 30 degrees C. And overnight last night it was 26 degrees C. (A UK overnight record btw). Sleep, what sleep !!!! Does anybody remember Mr Men cartoons ?? Well I'm definitely Mr Grumpy today..... Lol

Margot, Keith Elliott and AlainK like this.
  10. Acerholic

Think we might reach 40 C today here in the UK. Definitely feels hotter....

11. Acerholic

Think there are going to be some casualties this year E. Definitely will be here. Good luck. Hope your nowhere near the wild fires!!?

12. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

brings back memories from last year out here in BC. We hit 43C one day. That finally inspired us to install A/C into our home after 38 years without. Looks like your warm weather may drift over here next week as we have some pretty hot temps in the forecast a week from now.
    Remember, twice a day watering for the maples in Europe!

13. emery

No, thank goodness for that! We have had a forest fire here, but long before our arrival. Let's hope it doesn't happen again soon...

Currently 33.3, but meant to start getting cooler in the afternoon. Our minimum, around 5am, was 25.5C, the highest minimum we've seen in our 30 years here. Feels manageable compared to yesterday! The south facing downstairs french door is in, and it's gotten much cooler in the house, even though a north facing window is still waiting for masonry to dry.

I took a walk around the garden early, it's clear quite a few maples will defoliate completely; they are either limp and yellowing, or completely crispy.

40C in the UK is really nuts. Hang in there, guys.

AlainK, Margot and Keith Elliott like this.
  14. Keith Elliott

"....only..."

15. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

There is an amateur weather station with a live feed about 10 miles away from where I live. It has been sitting at 39.9 for the last few minutes, and hit 40 at 15:35! Rushden Weather Station

The maples are OK so far, many get full sun in the afternoon. I watered all the pots yesterday morning and may water again this evening to be on the safe side.

Edit: 40.2 as of 15:43

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  16. emery

I hate to "like" this, but welcome to the 40C club. I guess.

Acerholic, maf, AlainK and 1 other person like this.
  17. AlainK

Yeah... ;°)
    At night, my house still stays very hot, so I sleep with open windows. Fortunately, I live in a very quiet street where the speed is limited to 30km per hour. Even if most people drive at 40 km/h, I don't hear the sound of the engines, and I sleep in one of my son's room (they both have a life of their own now) that faces the backgarden...

18. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Thanks maf. ..that’s a helpful reference. We had 30 seconds of rain at 5pm yesterday..otherwise it may have been my neighbour using his car screen washers!!!! Very windy here right now

AlainK, Acerholic, maf and 1 other person like this.
  19. Margot

It looks like the weather you're experiencing in England, France and elsewhere is making headlines around the world.

Small consolation being famous!

From CBC:
    upload_2022-7-19_10-13-54.png

AlainK, Acerholic, maf and 1 other person like this.
  20. Acerholic

Got to 39° c in my garden this afternoon. Sadly I'm seeing a lot of crispy leaves. 'Crispy' is not a word that sits well in our maple circles. Looking to the future, I'm asking myself, 'are maples the best thing to grow in this changing world of severe climate change ' !!!?
    Never thought I would say this, let alone type it here.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  21. Keith Elliott

Val just checked our news feed, and half of the articles are related to the heat wave which has swept Europe. We had no idea that Portugal had reported over 1,000 heat related deaths. That is truly tragic. And the wildfires that seem to be raging everywhere are truly frightening. We have some experience with that over here, so we certainly wouldn't want to wish that on a country that is probably not prepared to deal with such things.
    Fortunately we are only in the low 30's here yet, but our turn is coming shortly.
    Working out in the garden today in full sun was definitely challenging for this old guy. Still working slowly but steadily to put in a small pond with circulating stream in place.
    The two palmatums that survived our last winter here appear to be doing quite well, while all the hybrids died.
    I wonder if misting your maples might help to curtail the crispy look?

AlainK and Margot like this.
  22. AlainK

A very controversial subject.
    As I wrote before, it's been so dry and hot in the past weeks that I regularly misted my trees in late evening, and all in all, I've greatly limited the damage from the sun, but others may disagree...

23. AlainK

It rained last night (about 7 mm) and again this afternoon (about 3 mm). The air feels so damp that I won't have to mist my trees tonight !

I don't know if it's because of the rain, but this morning, I saw some green where the bark of my acer griseum peeled off, it's the first time I've seen some green on the trunk :

acer-gris01_220720a.jpg

24. AlainK

45 minutes later : I can hear thunder rolling in the distance, hard to tell how far : I checked the precipitations at a weather station 5 km north where I live and they've had none, whereas between last night and today, we've had about 12 mm, more in 24 hours than in the past four weeks.

I live close to the Loire river, and It's always surprising when you leave home and there's no rain or fog, and when you drive across the bridge, you have to put on the lights because of the fog in autumn, winter or spring...

PS : wanted to take some photos outside, but it's raining again. Yeah ! The heat (about 26, more tomorrow) and humidity is again tropical, but it's OK ;-D

PPS : I've always liked the "balançao" of both the Brasilian Portuguese language and their music...

25. Acerholic

I carry out misting every Summer Keith. Always has helped, but not this extreme heat.
    Forecast is to get cooler next week so hopefully some new leaves to take the place of the crispy ones.
    I hope next week doesn't get as hot for you as we just had Keith.

AlainK likes this.