Appreciation: Summer maples 2022

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Jun 6, 2022.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Looks good to me - here’s mine similar sun exposure..you will quickly know if it’s getting too much as you will get crispy edges to some leaves..having said that if it’s in a pot I’d probably shift it just until this super hot spell finishes..34c over the weekend I hear!

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, AlainK, pphdam and 4 others like this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow, you guys have some great looking Moonrise(s)! I don't have a picture of ours, but it's a pretty dull yellow, it hasn't been too beat up yet but in the heat wave it will no doubt get some brown in it. 34C... we had that today in a nearby town where I had to run some errands, according to the car thermometer. It was cooler here (30C when I got home) but hit 31.5 anyway. The sun is really burning foliage, this is the highest solar wattage and evapotranspiration I've seen since I installed the weather station.

Rich, amazing deal, 8₤ per maple! I've been looking for Lilleane's Jewel, too, so very jealous! Not easy to find here.

maf and Lisa Harry like this.
  3. dicky5ash

Baldsmith - I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this one - been trouble free for 10 years.. all I would say is they don’t always look fantastic when you buy them..rather drab even..but time and care..it’s more fluro pink than the photo shows .. 1C04E7D5-D0DD-463D-ADF4-6EEAB2EDA5C0.jpeg 8F4E179B-8760-450B-B267-73CDD7ED58C3.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  4. dicky5ash

I hope you find one..I picked one up last year for sensible money about £28 I think.. but some nursery’s were trying their luck here at £70-80 for a 45cm plant. Last years plant hasn’t adopted the very dark base colour yet like it did last year and I’ve got it in (what I consider) the perfect dappled sun/shade spot!! I had it in morning sun only last year and it went a bit crispy..that may gave been because it didn’t like being slip potted so now it’s only getting dappled sun. It’s putting on really good growth.

emery likes this.
  5. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Good idea, will move it to a less sunny spot. So far it is doing well without leaves with brown edges.
    Your Moonrise and Baldsmith look very nice, very tempting to get a Baldsmith but already have too many dissectums.

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, but not this one. The one you sent me is over a metre tall and has smaller leaves. But once again it depends on cultivation, etc. I repoted this one last spring and added some slow-release fertilizer.
    ;°)

emery likes this.
  7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Exactly what I've seen here, it seems like straight gouging for popularity. So I haven't bitten. I'm sure prices will come down as the supply catches up.

8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A strong flush of summer growth on Beni komachi
    IMG_20220713_161554.jpg IMG_20220713_161505.jpg IMG_20220713_120706.jpg

9. dicky5ash

I’m going to ask a really stupid question..

I’ve never intentionally watered the foliage of my trees with tap water from the hose, always directed it straight into the pots..

I don’t have any rainwater left in water tanks, so my question is (given the impending high temperatures and burning sun over the next week) is it better to spray the foliage with my hard tap water (in addition to watering the pots) or is it detrimental due to the chlorine and hardness and better not to? Also when is best to do this after sundown or early in the morning?

By way of an apology for the stupid question, here is my Gwen’s rose delight (pretending to be something else/something pink this year) and the top half of my Skeeters broom.

3617A928-D6D8-431A-A596-43DAD21D0E8F.jpeg

10. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Well @dicky5ash I am no green thumb as I’m sure you have gathered through my posts. But I’ll share my experiences. I do mist the foliage of my trees during very hot weather with my hose in the early morning when the suns not on them or or just barely. I do not believe I have true “hard water”. I have only mist them in evenings when the temperature doesn’t go down very low. So far it’s proved to be a good thing.

Xi-feng and dicky5ash like this.
  11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have never once watered the foliage of my maples with any water, hard or soft, and do not plan on starting next week, however hot it gets. What a colossal waste of time and water. Keep the water where it belongs, in the root zone.

The sun in Japan, the natural habitat of these plants, is stronger and more intense than in the UK so I don't know why people are worrying about our mini heat wave

Cattwooduk, Lisa Harry and dicky5ash like this.
  12. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Olsen's Frosted Strawberry, hiding from the summer.
    IMG_20220714_100340.jpg

Xi-feng, Lisa Harry, AlainK and 2 others like this.
  13. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

Picked up a couple of new ones on a whim.

Starfish - is this and Peve's Starfish the same cultivar?

PXL_20220713_141013092.jpg

I also found a metamorphosa in a local garden centre which I've never seen in-store anywhere before. I had planned on driving up to Charella garden & nursery eventually as they have them, but this one was the same price and no delivery cost. It was the best of the 3 they had, and still a bit crispy around the edges - the usual treatment of being left in full sun as this place doesn't have a shade area. It looks healthy though and has a nice structure, so a bit of pruning and next year should look good.

PXL_20220713_140952311.jpg

I also finally finished sorting out a little corner for a couple more to go in - my Inabre Shidare will finally get free run for it's roots! The starfish has taken it's spot in morning sun. This little bed will get a full sun basting pretty much all day with a couple hours shade midday. The little green/yellow one is Japanese Sunrise, I'm hoping it'll quickly gain some height in the corner and contrast nicely. I'll probably underplant with something with blue flowers.
    PXL_20220713_141022586.jpg

Xi-feng, Lisa Harry, AlainK and 2 others like this.
  14. Cattwooduk

Th
    The only time I get water on the foliage of my trees is on the ones which are all grouped together fairly closely in my 'growing zone', it's all the stuff I'm growing on to shape and later sell. For sale of ease I just spray over the whole lot and let it find its way down into the pots, rather than try to spray into each one. I only do this early morning or in the evening usually anyway.

Everything else I water into the pots.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  15. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Starfish - is this and Peve's Starfish the same cultivar?

Yes it is, there's a photo thread that combines the two names.
    Acer palmatum 'Peve Starfish'

AlainK and Cattwooduk like this.
  16. Cattwooduk

Ah thanks! I had searched just Starfish in the photo forum but didn't even think of looking for Peve Starfish for some reason. *Facepalm*

D97x7 likes this.
  17. dicky5ash

Re Metamorphosa I’d tread very carefully with sun exposure on this one..I have 2..small one is ok but I couldn’t say it was loving life and the large one has real issues

18. dicky5ash

It’s an attractive cultivar, I really wish I was doing better with it. @Acerholic has one too, D may be able to paint a brighter picture

19. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

We water all our potted maples in the morning. That way they can go into the hottest part of the day with adequate moisture. On the hottest days of summer (when temperatures are above 32C or 90F) we water again after 5pm just to cool the roots down (mainly only the pots in full sun in areas that remain hot all day).

This time of year we are extra careful about not wetting the foliage because our relative humidity is above 80% and powdery mildew can become a huge issue. It loves stagnant air, high humidity, and wet foliage.

We have hard water too. Several years ago we invested in a charcoal filter to remove chlorine/ chloramine from our water. Since making the change we no longer get the little brown spots on the leaves over Summer. We also get better growth. The filter is a high volume/flow rate .5 micron NSF 53 certified filters for our whole home and watering hoses.
    (40,000 gallon filter life, rated .5 micron at 4 gallons per minute)
    Our water taste great and all our JM and other plants love it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  20. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Oh...One last note about Summer watering of pots on the hottest days. You may notice that no matter how well draining your soil mix is under normal conditions; that persistent hot and dry weather conditions can make your soil mix hydrophobic. A sign of this is the water sits on top before draining. A good strategy is to give each one some water and then circle back and water a second time. You will notice the second time, water will drain freely through the surface (no longer hydrophobic). This allows the water to evenly hydrate all of the roots.

AlainK, emery and dicky5ash like this.
  21. dicky5ash

Thanks - I often give a few seconds on one pot turn to another and give the first another go..

JT1 likes this.
  22. dicky5ash

No crisps yet!

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, Cattwooduk and D97x7 like this.
  23. Cattwooduk

Looks amazing! What is the pink one near the back on the left? Phoenix, Deshojo or something? It's very nice and bright!

24. dicky5ash

900C095C-5C5B-405F-8D90-E728E9882E69.jpeg @Cattwooduk Shirazz/Gwen’s rose delight that has decided this year it wants to just be pink, with the odd variegated.

Xi-feng, Lisa Harry and D97x7 like this.
  25. Cattwooduk

It's pretty spectacular! My Shirazz is fairly small, I only picked it up last year as a 2/3 year graft but it's very healthy and seems to enjoy the spot I've got it in for now. Something to look forward to as it grows!

dicky5ash likes this.