Brown Turkey Fig tree problem

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by DLW, Jun 28, 2022.

1. DLW

DLW New Member

A month ago I noticed my fig tree had a discolouration on its trunk, which quickly worsened. Then I also noticed cracks in the bark were appearing. Some Anemone flowers growing at the base of the tree and the leaves touched the bark, so I decided to relocate them and clear all around the base of the tree. I also sprayed the area with hydrogen peroxide to hopefully slow whatever was going on. The situation improved slightly but continues to weep. Even though it seems quite compromised leaves are emerging, albeit late in the season.

Can anyone identify the problem? Is it too far gone? At this point is my tree just dying?

Any help is much appreciated.

FigTreeProblem.JPG FigTreeProblem1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2022
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

How long have you had the fig tree? Did you amend the soil when you planted it?

I'm also reading different opinions about using rocks as mulch for fig trees (not that this would be the direct cause of the issue, but if the tree is struggling overall due to lack of oxygen at the roots, that doesn't help it fight off infections)

Hoping you can add some more details and then some of the fig growers can help.

3. DLW

DLW New Member

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your response. So I've had the tree planted there for about 5 years. Last year it did produce lots of figs, I guess it liked the heat. The figs didn't ripen quite fully but were usable for baking. I do not think the soil is very good quality there however every year I add worm castings, Miracle Grow (15,30,15) this time of year, and when I see figs appearing. It doesn't get as much sun as it would like I don't think - (from 12:30 to sunset) now that it's July so it will be happier. It's really now just leafing out. It started a month ago but I think whatever attacked it slowed that right down, however, it seems on track without any deformed leaves so far. The wound is scarring in some places so it's putting up a fight. Some cracks have dried and look like they are closing up rather than getting worse. I'll snap some more photos and post them later today.

Thanks all!

4. DLW

DLW New Member

Here are some more recent pics.
    FigHealing1.JPG FigHealing2.JPG FigProgress1.JPG FigProgress2.JPG FigLocation1.JPG FigLocation2.JPG

Hope you all had a wonderful Canada Day long weekend!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

On December 19 and 20, 2008 temperatures dipped to 9o F at WSU Mount Vernon NWREC and as a result we saw a variation in top damage on the fig varieties (Table 2). Desert King and Lattarula both produced a small crop of breba figs. Most varieties did not produce breba figs and some varieties were completely killed to the ground and resprouted from root suckers

Project No (wsu.edu)

6. DLW

DLW New Member

Thank you Ron for your input. I did read that extreme variation in temps can cause cracking in the bark. We'll see how this progresses. There are little shoots emerging from below the injury which I normally would have rubbed off. Instead, I will allow these to grow in case there is a point in time when I see fit to cut the tree above them.

7. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

On December 28, 2021, Squamish Airport recorded a low temperature of -17.1 C, which is a couple of degrees colder than YVR's low. Most of the fig trees that I've seen in the Vancouver/Burnaby area seem to have decent crops of breba figs, but the Squamish low is significantly lower and probably caused the observed problems.

DLW likes this.
  8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Another possibility is that the weight of snow on the two arms of the trunk caused a crack between them. It doesn't look like frost scald to me.

These 2 photos I found show examples of both types of damage. What you could do about either though, I can't say.

upload_2022-7-5_8-19-51.png upload_2022-7-5_8-22-11.png

9. DLW

DLW New Member

Right. Yikes, that's some extensive damage. Hopefully it continues to improve and the tree will survive. Guess dealing with disease and plant pests is all part of being a gardener.
    Thanks for your time.

Margot likes this.