Sansevieria (Dracaena) with graceful long not quite round leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by wcutler, Jun 29, 2022.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I would not mind having a name for this Sansevieria, but I'm not sure that's possible unless it's been in the trade recently with a label. I got it two or three months ago, at a respectable plant shop, but it didn't have a tag. It should now be called Dracaena, but most of the material I've found still calls it Sansevieria. I've ruled out S. volkensii or S. aff volkensii, from the description at Sansevieria volkensii in Global Plants on JSTOR of "distinct furrows extending from base to apex on the sides and back ...". Names of somewhat similar plants are

The longest leaf is a little over a half meter. The leaves are smooth, tough and almost round but they have a ridge (concave channel) along the inside. It's not in very good light, so I hope it's pretty forgiving.
    Sansevieria-ThinLeaves_Home_Cutler_20220629_172639.jpg Sansevieria-ThinLeaves_Home_Cutler_20220629_172623.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2023
    togata57 likes this.
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Shapely and elegant!

Sansevierias are now Dracaenas, eh? Phooey.
    Taxonomists tax us!
    I shall continue to call my venerable S. trifasciata by the name she has known for lo, these many years.

Nice to see that your plant has not one but two lizard friends.
    :-)

wcutler likes this.
  3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks much like Dracaena angolensis (syn. Sansevieria cylindrica).

4. wcutler

S. cylindrica/Dracaena angolensis (it's interesting to see how many sites are using the newer name for it) is supposed to not have the concave channel along the inside of the leaves. From Sansevieria cylindrica (llifle.com): "... channeled only at the base, dark-green with thin dark green vertical stripes". Also, "it forms a few leaved distichous rosettes with 3-4 leaves (or more) from underground rhizomes." This seems to have quite a different growth habit. The photos I'm seeing of it show the distinct furrows along the outside of the leaves that were what made me rule out S. volkensii.

The descriptions on this Sansevieria (llifle.com) site are very comprehensive, even if it does give the family as Dracaenaceae. Descriptions seem to be from around 2010; the family is Asparagaceae now.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You may want to do some research on Sansevieria lancia. There were some similar, bigger but less elegant looking plants in a store. It is unclear whether "LANCIA" on the tag is the species or cultivar name.

6. wcutler

Wow, thanks Junglekeeper. The name seems to be Sansevieria trifasciata 'Lancia', and it seemed like a possibility, particularly according to the description at Sansevieria 'Lancia' – Tropiflora. The ones pictured seem more straight-up than having that nice arch that my leaves have, and I wonder if it's because the growth habit is different, with mine being leaves from the single rosette, and the 'Lancia' photos show leaves growing separately from below the ground.
    Interior Plant Gallery | Heroman Services Plant Company has a photo of 'Lancia' at https://heromanservices.com/wp-content/uploads/Sansevieria-Lancia.jpg.
    I think the rosette habit has to rule that out.

Sansevieria - Morning Dew Tropical Plants has a photo of the top half of 'Lancia', describing it a "very rare", but they have a photo of S. parva which looks like a possibility. Here is a photo of S. parva 'Uganda': Sansevieria parva 'Uganda' | A tall growing form of S. parva… | Flickr, which looks very much like it, but there are many more photos on the internet of plants with that name that have flat leaves and do not look like it at all, but it may be that they are the S. parva species, which has the common name Kenya hyacinth.
    Here are two on flickr, posted by different people, called "Sansevieria Parva Kenya", look like it:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/27286410@N04/6168437993/
    ttps://www.flickr.com/photos/semarbk/51384823450/
    but again, one with that name posted by San Diego Botanic Garden has flat leaves:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/131880272@N06/50929507128
    The species S. parva does have flat leaves, in rosettes. I follow Ben Caledonia on flickr, who has several beautiful photos of the flat-leaved S. parva starting at Sansevieria parva | Sansevieria parva est une espèce de plan… | Flickr.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2022
  7. wcutler

My plant decided to flower while I was away for six days. I can't remember when the flower spike appeared, at least two weeks ago. Guttation along the flower stem has been visible from the start, and is still there, though it's not really visible in the second set of photos, taken with flash.
    Dracaena now Sansevieria_home_Cutler_20230514_161239.jpg Dracaena now Sansevieria_home_Cutler_20230514_161235.jpg

I came back last night and fortunately decided I had to take the photo right then - good thing because the flowers are all spent now, several fallen but all stamens have either dropped off or have been re-covered by the petals (really sepals?). I would not have seen the curled petals at all if I'd been away another day. Nothing is curled today, on the plant or on the fallen flowers.
    SansevieriaFernwood_home_Cutler_20230520_215621.jpg SansevieriaFernwood_home_Cutler_20230520_215621crop.jpg

I'm going with the name Sansevieria 'Fernwood' (or maybe S. 'Fernwood Mikado'), which is a hybrid of Sansevieria parva (Kenya, Uganda) and Sansevieria suffruticosa (Kenya, Tanzania). The page at Snake Plant / Dracaena (Sansevieria) "Fernwood" (plantsam.com) goes on to say "under the name Sansevieria “Fernwood Mikado” leaf cuttings of S. “Fernwood” are sold". All the "Sansevieria" names here should properly (right now) be "Dracaena".

Junglekeeper likes this.
  8. wcutler

Here is a photo from two days later showing the guttation and the straightened petals or sepals. Also, the channel along the inner side of a leaf is clearly visible.
    SansevieriaFernwood_home_Cutler_20230522_115412.jpg

9. wcutler

I've been leaving the spent flower spike on to see if I get any fruits. I'd think that stalk is pretty much dead, but the guttation is still happening. I like how the water droplets are picking up the light from the next room.
    Sansevieria-Dracaena_home_Cutler_20230607_003044.jpg