Hard pruning of climbing roses and california lilac

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Raeanne Steele, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Raeanne Steele

Raeanne Steele Member

My climbing roses and California Lilac are getting very leggy and way too tall.
    Is it possible to do a hard pruning to trim them back to a good size?
    The roses were never trained properly and I am hoping to give it another go by pruning them back.
    The California lilac suffered a hard winter compounded by a too light pruning the season before.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks very much!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've seen some hard pruning of roses be successful, but I think it's best if someone with experience chimes in. As for California lilac, this is one of the evergreen ones? In that case, it doesn't seem like they respond well to hard pruning.

3. Raeanne Steele

Raeanne Steele Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2022
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't think there will be a way to do a restorative prune on the California lilac.

You are looking for a low-growing flowering shrub? Maybe have a look at something like Cistus or other rock-roses.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years