Jujube bareroot still dormant

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by sean86114, Jun 28, 2022.

1. sean86114

sean86114 Member

Hey guys,
    I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter. I purchased a bareroot Li jujube back in April and transferred it to the ground the same day that arrived.
    Unfortunately I still don't have any green growth on it(June 28) I have couple of dif varieties jujubes beside it, which is vigourously growing. I scratch tested it and the cambium is still green. Talked to the nursery and they said some trees takes longer to come out of dormancy. Is that true?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Still green should still be alive. It sounds like this indeed a phenomenon with some jujubes.

3. sean86114

sean86114 Member

Today July 28th, I am super sad, my jujube Li still no sign of life. Just snipped a branch and it’s clearly still alive (green and juicy) it’s on the photo. but no buds whatsoever, weird enough that I see suckers coming out off the roots. Guys please give me some suggestions or thoughts. On the other hand, my other varieties has been flowering already.

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The one time I bought one of these it was bare rooted, never grew afterward.

5. sean86114

sean86114 Member

Thanks for the input Ron. By any chance are your Ron from “garden works”