Summergold Shrivelled leaves

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Mani, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Mani

Mani Active Member

Some leaves have shrivelled on just one branch and a few are turning red.

I have kept it watered not overly so, so not sure what the issue might be?

Is this a case of stress after a dry Spring again?

Thank you!!

Attached Files:

2. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

The red edges are normal for a Summer Gold in full sun (here's a pic of my little one last year with the same colouring). It might be an obvious question, but have you checked the branch to make sure it hasn't accidentally suffered a break if the leaf-shrivelling is just confined to that one spot?

20210529 Summer Gold.jpg

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Think that branch might be failing Mani. The driest Spring on record will take casualties I'm afraid. The rest all looks good, and anymore unusual colouration is a sign of stress. The problem is we do tend to look at what happened in the days previous and not what happened several weeks ago. It is always June/ July that we see the effects of a dry cold Spring. You may get a second flush that will look good for this season, but my advice is to think about 2023 and to put in your phone callender reminder to ensure the roots are moist especially when the buds start to leaf out.
    I do agree with Xi though, check for any breaks in the branch.

4. Mani

Mani Active Member

Thanks both!

I don't think there are any breaks but will double check.........should I keep the shrivelled leaves on or snap them off?

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

They will drop on there own over the coming days, so it's just aesthetics. Do check for any budding on that branch that will signal that it might be OK . If it is indeed leaf scorch, then it could survive. Sometimes with this you have to wait until the following Spring to find out. But in the Autumn, keep a check on any branch discolouration, if you get this , then I would remove it.

6. Mani

Mani Active Member

Thanks D!

Acerholic likes this.
  7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I bought mine in April. Since I found it in a supermarket at a time when all mine, outside, had not leafed out, I put it in almost full shade for I thought that the leaves were very fragile.

Now it's the only one that gets black spots on the leaves (except very little ones on my Tsuma gaki).

I think it's because these supermarket trees are over-fertilized and grown in greenhouses to grow very fast, but they're weak when put outside.

acerp-summergold_220621a.jpg

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  8. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

So typical for many retailers, and to assume everything is based on size.
    Doesn't the fast food industry apply the same technique? The very rare time I have eaten something from a fast food outlet I too feel weak when trying to work outside!

AlainK likes this.