Acer palmatum 'Red dissectum' (Acer palmatum f. dissectum )

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my oldest Japanese maple, purchased as a two year tree 42 years ago. It is in full sun all day long and was moved from a pot for the first time in 2019. Quite nerve wracking tbh.
    It had a lot of root and upper pruning, so still settling down.
    Last photo from Spring 2020.
    Photo today 16th July 2020 showing the greens taking over rapidly.
    I will update this thread regularly to show how this one looks in other seasons.

And a taster from Autumn 2018 in it's pot.

Attached Files:

alex66, D97x7 and LoverOfMaples like this.
  2. Acerholic

An update on my oldest tree in my collection after heavy rain on the 24th July 2020.
    I have it tierd to allow light to penetrate as it can suffer from dead inner branching.
    As you can see the reds have virtually disappeared now. But a pleasing Summer colour none the less.
    You can just make out Emerald lace to the right. The contrast in Autumn is amazing IMO.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

I have posted this one today 3rd August 2020 to show the rapidly changing colour of a 'red' dissectum. This tree will turn to green no matter where it is placed.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

12th August 2020 still very hot and in fact yesterday was the hottest I've ever seen in my garden. Ground temperature hit 48° C by my trees.
    They are all now suffering. But I will continue the Summer diary as requested.
    Really intense heat on my Red dissectum, but as can be seen, not too bad. Far from red now though !!!!

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

18th September 2020 and a picture of the whole tree as requsted yesterday.
    My old Red dissectum with some sun burn to the outer leaves, but as it's late in the season thats OK.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

4th October 2020 and my Red dissectum in the rain is in transition phase at last.

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  7. Acerholic

10th October 2020 and my Red dissectum is dropping it's leaves fast now. Which it has never done before turning the bright orange it normally gives, but what is normal about this year !!! So added this photo before it's just branches only.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

11th October 2020 and I thought I would add this to show just what one day makes in the change of colour to my Red dissectum.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

14th October 2020 and overnight my Red dissectum dropped almost all of it's leaves. So this is good night to this one until next Spring.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

Thought I would add my Red dissectum in Autumn before it was moved and heavily pruned.

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  11. Acerholic

24th January 2021 and to me this was a lot of snow, our friends on the forum from the far north of the world will laugh at the photo, but for the South of England this stops trains!!!!
    Red dissectum 310.JPG

12. Acerholic

My first Spring photo of my Red dissectum. It's the 28th April 2021 and after the last photo on January 24th 2021, this is how the patience repays me. It will be 45 years old in June, so I treat it with kid gloves.
    Red dissectum 206.JPG

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  13. Acerholic

7th May 2021, full bright sunshine and my Red dissectum giving me so much joy atm.
    Red dissectum 219.JPG

14. Acerholic

12th May 2021 and a full view of my Red dissectum now that it has fully leafed out.
    Red dissectum 224 (2).JPG
    Red dissectum 224.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  15. Acerholic

24tj May 2021 and although it has been hammered by the heavy rain, my very old Red dissectum looked lovely this morning. It will bounce back later as it dries btw.
    Red dissectum 237.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  16. Acerholic

26th May 2021 and full photo of my Red dissectum. This is a 43 year old tree now. Still going strong.
    Red dissectum 240.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  17. Acerholic

10th June 2021 and the morning sun flickered on my Red dissectum a few minutes ago.
    Red dissectum 260.JPG Red dissectum 261.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  18. Acerholic

7th July 2021 and a month of cold and wet weather has suited my Red dissectum perfectly.
    Red dissectum 295.JPG Red dissectum 295 (2).JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  19. Acerholic

13th April 2022 and one of the oldest in my garden is now making a showing. Two weeks later than previous years, but perhaps it has learnt about the Spring frosts at last....
    Red dissectum April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  20. Acerholic

26th April 2022 and after a rather cold night, I was up early to check my trees. First call was my Red dissectum. As can be seen, it has fully leafed out now and doing OK.
    Red dissectum April 26th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  21. Acerholic

30th April 2022 and in the bright early morning Spring sunshine, my Red dissectum amongst companion plants, it was at it's best.
    Red dissectum April 30th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  22. Acerholic

23rd June 2022 and the slight appearance of some green in the leaf on my Red dissectum now. In a couple of weeks it will be totally green.
    Red dissectum 22nd June 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  23. Acerholic

20th October 2022 and something to smile at. My very old Red dissectum is giving a good show in the Autumnal sunshine.
    Red dissectum 20th October 2022.JPG

AlainK likes this.
  24. Acerholic

14th May 2023 and first showing of my old Red dissectum this season.
    PXL_20230514_114029937.jpg

25. Acerholic

29th October 2023 and my oldie is just starting to colour up today.
    PXL_20231029_101300094.jpg