Acer palmatum 'Verkade's Winter Gold'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by GardenCycles, Jun 19, 2022.

1. GardenCycles

GardenCycles Member Maple Society

Acer palmatum winter gold. I just bought this tree. I thought it had great form and I like the light green leaves. The bark is lime green hence the name winter gold. Cant find much information on this cultivar and the few pictures I found online have a form that don't match this this plant. Anybody else know anything this plant?

Attached Files:

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Sorry I don't know anything of this cultivar, but it looks a very nice tree indeed.

GardenCycles likes this.
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, it seems to be a newer introduction, looking on the web I saw specimens that are def the same cultivar.

It would seem the correct name is 'Verkade's Winter Gold'.

Here's the quote from the Nichol's web site, where they offered it:

"Introduced by the famous Verkade's Nursery, 'Verkade's Winter Gold' leafs out in the early spring with large matsumurae leafs that are bright green and heavily divided. The overall shape of the tree is upright but in a semi-pendulous habit reaching 8 ft tall by 10 ft wide in 15 years. Mid-summer flushes are a brighter reddish orange which makes a great display over the rich green. Fall colors are a bright golden yellow to orange. The bark itself is brighter chartreuse green on the new growth which provides a winter interest and is where this selection gets its name. 'Verkade's Winter Gold' is a rare and unique Japanese maple that deserves a place in your landscape or garden.
    Sometimes this selection is known as just 'Wintergold', not to be confused with the snakebark selection with a similar name."

Someone (Duncan and Davies?) holds the trademark for the rufinerve 'Wintergold', so I hope they don't get sued for TM infringement!

Anyway I love the leaf shape, congratulations for getting it.

GardenCycles and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

I see it now E @emery . I can start a new thread in the cultivar photos forum @GardenCycles if you want, or you can under the correct name given in #3.
    Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)
    I've changed this thread title so others can refer to it by it's correct name.

GardenCycles likes this.
  5. GardenCycles

GardenCycles Member Maple Society

Thanks for replying. Acerholic please start a new thread. I will post some more pictures especially of the bark for reference. Cheers!

6. Acerholic

All done and started in your name in the Cultivars photo forum, with a copy of your posting #1 here.

GardenCycles likes this.