Virtual Garden Tour 2022

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by pmurphy, Jan 6, 2022.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Introductory notes from wcutler:
    Margot wrote: I propose starting a new virtual garden tour for 2022 if other contributors like @pmurphy are in agreement. Perhaps the few posts that she has made so far this year could be moved over. The reason I think this is a good idea is that the original thread is getting to be a bit unwieldy.

The earlier postings come first, so I have copied Margot's introduction into @pmurphy's posting.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winter Wonderland?

After watching the snows almost disappear a couple of days ago when the temperatures reached a high of 4C we woke up to this....
    IMG_7856.JPG

IMG_7858.JPG
    This yucca rostrata had been potted for several years while it grew roots but last Fall I figured it was robust enough to finally be planted....hope I wasn't wrong

IMG_7863.JPG
    This fatsia japonica recently flowered...

IMG_7870.JPG
    Under this mound of snow is a yucca filamentosa 'Color Guard'

IMG_7873.JPG
    And the first casualty of 2022 - the weight of the snow and ice snapped off several large limbs of my arbutus unedo

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2022
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Great photos P. But so sorry to see your damage.

D

Margot likes this.
  3. pmurphy

With the snow gone and after a few days of sun I've had the urge to get outside and start working. I've already seen people working in their gardens but I also know it is much too early, even though plants are starting to appear. But to put things into perspective and prove to myself that it is still winter I decided to also post some photos sent to me today by my mother, who lives northwest of 100 Mile House.

First two photos are from my gardens: witch hazel and hellebores.
    IMG_5965.JPG IMG_5972.JPG

Last three photos are from my mother who says it has snowed for the last two days, and these photos were taken BEFORE it started snowing two days ago. For reference the garden windmill is 1.5 meters tall and the gate/fence are tall enough to keep horses contained.

DSCF4726.jpg DSCF4729.jpg

DSCF4718.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2022
  4. Acerholic

Totally agree P. It's very easy to get too keen too early. But so exciting to see our gardens nearly there. Love your photos BTW. Never seen snow like that where we live.

D

D

5. pmurphy

Well the last few days have certainly felt like spring is coming, and I'm not the only one who feels this way....

A quick check of the gardens revealed many plants starting to appear and some were quite unexpected. Among the hellebores are snowdrops, crocuses and primroses (all normal for this time of year).
    IMG_7952.JPG IMG_7950.JPG IMG_7957.JPG
    There are also numerous trees such as the cornus mas that are getting ready to blossom....
    IMG_7960 - cornus mas.JPG

The Dutch irises, tulips and daffodils are also appearing amongst the Italian arum in large numbers but this year I noticed the mouse plants - Arisarum proboscideum - appearing rather early as well as new growth on the rice paper tree - Tetrapanax papyrifer.
    IMG_7953 - arum italicum.JPG IMG_7967 -  arisarum proboscideum.JPG IMG_7964 - tetrapanax papyrifer.JPG

But as I stated I'm not the only one who thinks spring is also here; this last photo is of a nesting hummingbird that I discovered yesterday...I wonder if its the same female that raised her brood in our gazebo last year?
    IMG_7955.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I propose starting a new virtual garden tour for 2022 if other contributors like @pmurphy are in agreement. Perhaps the few posts that she has made so far this year could be moved over. The reason I think this is a good idea is that the original thread is getting to be a bit unwieldy.

Hellebores have been real troupers so far in 2022, bringing life and colour to an otherwise quite drab scene. Now, however, all kinds of other flowers are joining in the display and leaves are starting to show on bare branches. I always think that when I see the first slug that spring has truly arrived.

Here's what I discovered this lovely day . . .
    1. Helleborus 'Tiffany'
    2. Helleborus 'Sandra'
    3. Hellebore already starting to change to mature colouration.
    4. Self-seeded hellebore - maybe 5 or 6 years old now.
    The rest have started to bloom in just the past few days -
    5. Daphne odora
    6. R. 'Cilpinense'
    7. Doronicum orientale
    Daffodils all set to open
    8. Cardamine hirsuta (most annoying weed ever)
    9. Slug :-)

Attached Files:

maf, LoverOfMaples, AlainK and 3 others like this.
  7. DavidB52

DavidB52 Active Member

Sunday, 6 March 2022
    Sunny, and a forecast high of 12 degrees Celcius.

Today was the first time this year that I have seen Bumblebees and honeybees foraging. Here is a photo of a honeybee on the Heather (?) bush in the back yard. This bush seems popular with bees this time of year (it is the only flower available at the moment).

Last year I noted the first time bees were noted was March 25. Looks like Spring is a couple weeks early this year.

Attached Files:

pmurphy, Georgia Strait and Margot like this.
  8. Margot

Yesterday, I would have said the predominant colour in my garden was yellow . . . today, it is white; everything covered in 6 inches of snow.
    Snow - April 10 2022.JPG

1. Corylopsis pauciflora and Daffodils - dozens of daffs of all sorts, planted by previous owner and multiplying like crazy
    2. Jasminum nudiflorum - Winter-flowering Jasmine
    3. Helleborus x hybridus
    4. Erythronium 'Pagoda'
    5. Rhododendron 'Shamrock'
    6. Ranunculus ficaria 'Brazen Hussy'
    7. Euphorbia wulfenii - escaped into the wild
    8. Narcissus bulbocodium
    9. Doronicum species - Leopards Bane
    10. Mahonia aquifolium
    11. Rhododendron 'Patty Bee'
    12. Euphorbia - self seeded
    13. Primula
    14. Viola sempervirens - Evergreen Violet
    15. Uninvited guest

Corylopsis pauciflora and daffodils.JPG Winter-flowering jasmine  02-2022.JPG Hellebore x hybridus 03-2021.JPG Erythronium 'Pagoda' 04-2021.JPG VGT 04-22 1.JPG VGT 04-22 2.JPG VGT 04-22 3.JPG VGT 04-22 4.JPG VGT 04-22 5.JPG VGT 04-22 6.JPG VGT 04-22 7.JPG VGT 04-22 8.JPG VGT 04-22 9.JPG VGT 04-22 10.JPG VGT 04-22 11.JPG

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

What?! We saw hail in Burnaby tonight, and I know there has been a snowstorm on the Coquihalla Hwy to the interior, but I had no idea that areas on the coast had six inches of snow. I hope that snow protects the plants from the cold temps tonight, and that the sun tomorrow warms them back up.

10. Acerholic

Hope everything is OK in the garden Margot ?

11. Margot

The good news is that the 3 large Japanese maples are just fine, partly because they haven't started leafing out yet. Many other shrubs have broken branches but snow still covers everything so it's hard to tell if they'll bounce back up again or not. I can't imagine many flowers can handle being frozen for too long. Besides that more snow is in the forecast!
    After the heat dome last June/July, the atmospheric river in November (and subsequent deer damage from a washed-out fence), I can almost hear the plants in my garden muttering, "What's going on around here?!?" We're all trying to be good sports but it's a challenge.

VGT 1.JPG VGT 2.JPG VGT 3.JPG

pmurphy, Acerholic, maf and 1 other person like this.
  12. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Greetings — yes it feels nice and warm in sheltered sunshine spots out of the breeze

tho the SNOW was very low on the Britannia Range yesterday. — I imagine that a longer snow season is good for the natural forests and the flora fauna in those forests

I think there’s a thread about plants we lost over that endless chill 2021 / 22

i know both my Arp rosemary herb plants are done and gone

some bulbs displayed a stunted leaf and flower bud with yellow tinge — I imagine frost damage

we share an evergreen clematis w neighbor and it got frosted but of course is tough and will likely grow new shoots

some rhodos (species) suffered

how the annual all-year Annas hummingbirds survived I don’t know

and other plants seemed to come thru “swimmingly” —

and on schedule
    Also Rufous hummers on schedule in mid March

geese or maybe swans way high up heading north west

—————

so here are some spring photos incl some crocus from a few wks ago

rhodo Christmas Cheer (pink) came out in March

rhodo PJM (purple and slightly scented leaves)
    next to pink rhodo — (I know the name and can’t think of it — is it too early for Mission Bells?)

rhodo “wine and roses” with special leaves that have velvet underside, burgundy color. I think this Rhodo is from a breeder in Scotland

rhodo Seaview Sunset is out now and is the pink orange color — it is a child of Canadian Sunset

Misc perennials incl sword ferns, wood ferns and bleeding heart

the little muscari (grape hyacinth) has a white top tip and is called Mt Hood (as in the view east from Portland OR)
    It is blooming today

the white “daffodil” is Trulia and is also blooming now

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    pmurphy, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  13. Acerholic

Spring is definatly here in Southern England when our Hostas are up. Even though very dry up until this morning, the slugs are having a go at some. Using so much garlic spray atm, our garden smells like French restaurant.
    Halcyon....................................................Mouse ears
    Hosta Halcyon May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Mouse Ears May 11th 2022.JPG
    Fireworks................................................Dragon tails
    Hosta Fireworks May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Dragon Tails May 11th 2022.JPG
    Curly fries................................................Sunset grooves
    Hosta Curly Fries May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Sunset Grooves May 11th 2022.JPG
    Lakeside little tuft........................................Revolution
    Hosta Lakeside Little Tuft May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Revolution May 11th 2022.JPG
    More to follow tomorrow.....

Margot, wcutler and AlainK like this.
  14. Acerholic

Some more Hostas this morning from my garden. A little rain overnight has made them happy.

Midas touch......................The British are coming...............Guacamole
    Hosta Midas touch May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta The British are coming May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Guacamole May 11th 2022.JPG
    Stained glass........................Great expectations................Fire and ice
    Hosta Stained Glass May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Great Expectations May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Fire and Ice May 11th 2022.JPG
    Orange marmalade................Flavocirinalis............White feather
    Hosta Orange marmalade May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Flavocirinalis May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta White Feather May 11th 2022.JPG
    Still suffering some slug damage, but not too bad.

Margot, pmurphy and Cjart like this.
  15. Acerholic

The last few of Hostas in my garden today.
    June......................................................Devon Green.....................................Lemon lime
    Hosta June May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Devon green May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Lemon Lime May 11th 2022.JPG
    Hands Up............................................Wiggles and squiggles.....................Praying hands
    Hosta Hands Up May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Wiggles and Squiggles May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Praying Hands May 11th 2022.JPG
    First frost............................................Patriot.................................................Snow flake
    Hosta First Frost May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Patriot May 11th 2022.JPG Hosta Snow Flake May 11th 2022.JPG

Margot and pmurphy like this.
  16. pmurphy

Well I know this past winter has been devastating for many gardeners - myself included - and the spring weather is not cooperating but I think I finally see light at the end of the tunnel. My plants are finally doing something and I've discovered some plants (today) I thought I'd lost that are slowly coming back.
    Some plants are struggling while others have returned healthier and lusher than I've seen them before. Other are finally starting to flower - only about 4 weeks late.
    So today I thought I would actually take some photos and post:

Feather hyacinth (finishing up for the season now)
    'White Feather' hosta (hard to find a place in total shade)
    Dutch iris 'Blue Pearl'
    Giant butterbur (the dragon is 1m tall) - tripled in size from last year
    Deadman's finger tree - first year flowering
    Mock strawberry 'Harlequin' - seed grown last year and spreading nicely
    Clematis 'Lemon Bells'
    Variegated kiwi - very full this year
    Ornamental onion 'Ambassador'
    Cross vine 'Dragon Lady' - actually flowered early
    Gold kiwi - 3 weeks late in flowering so I'm not sure if we will get fruit this year as its normally ready at the end of October

IMG_6645 - Muscari Plumosum.JPG IMG_6653 - Hosta 'White Feather'.JPG IMG_6683 - Iris hollandica ‘Blue Pearl’.JPG IMG_6698 - Petasites japonicus.JPG IMG_6702 - Decaisnea fargesii.JPG IMG_6723 - Duchesnea indica 'Harlequin'.JPG IMG_6749 - Clematis chiisanensis 'Lemon Bells'.JPG IMG_6766 - Actinidia pilosula.JPG IMG_6788 - Allium ‘Ambassador’.JPG IMG_6887 - Bignonia capreolata 'Red Dragon'.JPG IMG_7009 - Actinidia chinensis.JPG

And here are 2 of my success stories, despite the bad winter...

Bitter orange seedlings - I placed some of the seeds I harvested in a large outdoor planter last Fall and they germinated about a month ago. So far they are doing great and growing quickly.
    Raisin tree - seed germinated in 2020 but I decided to plant it outside last Fall - I had no idea what sort of winter we would have but the sapling came through with flying colors and has added about 30cm of growth so far.

IMG_6644 - Citrus trifoliata.JPG IMG_6794 - Hovenia dulcis.JPG

Margot, Acerholic and wcutler like this.
  17. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Pmurphy, I see that your male gold kiwi is in full blossom; how are the female blossoms doing? Thanks.

18. pmurphy

The gold kiwis are all in full bloom right now but the plants are so lush its hard to see the flowers - about a week ago I went outside in the morning and there was a very beautiful, tropical scent in the air but I couldn't see where it was coming from....it took me a couple of days to realize it was the kiwis (I've never notice this scent before, or perhaps just not this intense).

Margot likes this.
  19. pmurphy

Here's a new one...bought the bulb last year but it didn't grow - it actually started late but the heat dome put an end to it so I couldn't confirm the identity until now. The plant was supposed to be Arisaema triphyllum (jack-in-the-pulpit) but someone messed up somewhere (just goes to show you can't always trust even well-known suppliers). The plant appears to be Arisaema dracontium - green dragon.

IMG_7475 - Arisaema dracontium.JPG IMG_7478 - Arisaema dracontium.JPG IMG_7497 - Arisaema dracontium.JPG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Margot and Acerholic like this.
  20. wcutler

Wow, that is not how I have ever described the smell of kiwi flowers.

21. pmurphy

I've never noticed any real scent to any of the "grape" kiwi varieties - Actinidia arguta (which are all flowering heavily now) so it must be associated only with the golds.

22. wcutler

I've definitely given a wide berth to the Actinidia arguta at UBCBG, but I see the golds are A. chinensis. You have that on the file name of the photo you posted above, but photo names don't show up in the text for text searches, so that's why I wanted to add it here.

23. pmurphy

I finally got outside to take a good look at the gardens and get some photos...things are really growing.

Ferns - autumn, Japanese painted 'red beauty' and northern maidenhair.
    Nicandra physalodes - shoo-fly (aka apple of Peru)
    Fragaria vesca - strawberry 'yellow wonder' already giving fruit (tastes like pineapple)
    Kalmia latifolia 'olympic fire' - mountain laurel
    Athyrium niponicum pictum - autumn fern 'pewter lace'
    Jasminum x stephanense - Stephan jasmine
    Delosperma floribundum 'starburst' - ice plant
    Cornus florida 'ruba' - pink dogwood
    Fern garden (or one of them) with one of my water feature "projects"

IMG_7406.JPG IMG_7415 - Nicandra physalodes.JPG IMG_7515 - Fragaria vesca.JPG IMG_7521 - Kalmia latifolia ‘Olympic Fire’.JPG IMG_7541 - Athyrium niponicum pictum ‘pewter lace’.JPG IMG_7547 - Jasminum × stephanense.JPG IMG_7566 - Delosperma floribundum 'starburst'.JPG IMG_7613 - Cornus florida 'rubra'.JPG IMG_7638.JPG

Margot, wcutler and Acerholic like this.
  24. pmurphy

Here's one people think I'm crazy for growing but I'm rather proud of them - seed grown this spring and not supposed to flower until the second year so the color is a little washed out....

Pink dandelion - Taraxacum pseudoroseum

IMG_7642 - Taraxacum pseudoroseum.JPG IMG_7644.JPG
    Of the dozen plants I have this is the only one blooming.

Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

I remember a saying from an old TV gardener here in the UK. 'A weed is any plant growing in the wrong place'. So your not at all crazy P.