Looking to identify a hosta cultivar

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by pmurphy, Jun 11, 2022.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I have an old (at least 15 years old) and rather large hosta that I'm trying to put a name to. Can't remember where I got it from but it could have been Canadian Tire.

The leaves are large and the plant itself is about 1/2 m high. When it first appears in the spring the leaves are white with irregular green edges but as the season progresses lighter colored green "splotches" appear and the white changes to yellow. The plant is actually quite beautiful as it can have 3 or 4 different shades of green at one time. By mid to late summer the leaves have changed entirely to a single shade of green, as the last photo shows.

I personally call the plant "Picasso" but would like to determine which cultivar it is. Any assistance would be appreciated.

IMG_6546.JPG IMG_6782.JPG
    photo taken May 23, 2022....................photo taken June 6, 2022

upload_2022-6-11_7-25-58.png
    photo taken July 2021....if you look closely you can still see some variation in color on the left center leaf.

2. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

Just stumbled across your post.
    I have two different variegated hosta cultivars that are viridescent: 'Fortunei Albopicta' and 'Guardian Angel'. I believe yours is FA. I have both, and here are a few pictures with the two side-by-side.
    P9770468-fortuneialbopicta-guardianangel.JPG P9770469--fortuneialbopicta.JPG P9770470-guardianangel.JPG P9770473-fortuneialbopicta-guardianangel.JPG P9770474-fortuneialbopicta-guardianangel.JPG
    On the left is 'Guardian Angel' , on the right 'Fortunei Albopicta'. The last 2 pictures show the difference in the shades of blue and green between the two and that's indicative of the lineage of them. The difference in the shade of blue is the difference in the thickness of the layer of wax that gives us the appearance of blue.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    pmurphy likes this.
  3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hmm!
    There are a lot that go through the change in leaf colours.
    To add to the equation of leaf shape/leaf colour/ leaf size/ruffles etc .
    The colour of the flowers has to be known as some are white others soft lilac.
    Need a Hosta nerd/expert.

Quote www..
    "Hybridization within and among species and cultivars has produced numerous cultivars, with over 7,125 registered and named varieties, and perhaps as many more that are not yet registered with the American Hosta Society."

This is their data base.
    American Hosta Society Online Registry and Hosta Plant Database
    Quote New Forest Hostas...
    "Hosta 'Fortunei Alobopicta' is stunning early in the season. With lime green leaves and an irregular mid-green margin. This hosta will be full green by summer. A classic old variety.
    Height: Medium/Large 50-55cm
    Flower: Lavender
    Growth Rate: Fast-Medium
    .........................................................................................
    Quote New Forest Hostas...
    "Hosta 'Guardian Angel' leaves emerge blue-green with an ivory centre, with a ruffled edge and a gentle twist. Even though the leaves turn to almost completely blue-green by summer, it is definitely worth the space to enjoy its beauty in spring. The vibrant white centre holds longer when the climate is cooler.
    Height: Large / 30-32cm / 24"
    Flower: Pale Lavender
    ......................................................................................

pmurphy likes this.
  4. Pieter

Silver surfer and pmurphy like this.
  5. Pieter

Forgot I have another viridescent variegated hosta: 'Whirlwind'.
    P9770475-whirlwind-albopicta.JPG P9770476-whirlwind-albopicta.JPG
    Here's one side-by-side with the 'Albopicta' in the first lot of pictures. Note the difference in colouration of the green parts.

pmurphy likes this.