Acer palmatum 'Mirte'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by amazingmaples, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

27th May 2022 and a month on from my last posting shows the greens really getting into the leaves now.
    Mirte 27th May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  2. Karl Villareal

Karl Villareal Well-Known Member

20220604_154714.jpg
    Mirte and Mr. Sun

Xi-feng, D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  3. Acerholic

Thats a lovely combo Karl. Got me thinking !!!

4. Karl Villareal

5. Acerholic

11th June 2022 and to join in with Karl @Karl Villareal some leaves of my Mirte a few minutes ago. It's not enjoying these strong drying winds we've had the last couple of days though.
    Mirte 11th June 2022.JPG

Karl Villareal and Xi-feng like this.
  6. Karl Villareal

most of these JM's I have are behind a wind-block. just a small 2m x 2m wall of wood.
    Sometimes though in late winter, the wind comes from the opposite direction -- the locals tell me, they've never had a lot of these northerly winds before.

My Ariadne (Mirte's sister) is on the opposite side of this wall. The wall still provides protection such that it goes up/around the wall. The edge of ariadne just peeking out of that wall is kinda crispy from the drying winds, but the rest of the tree is ok.

7. Acerholic

Winds at most other times of the hear is fine, but drying winds in June often cause so much aesthetic damage, that's it's just so sad to see after nurturing all through Spring.
    I collect rain water and put it in a sprayer/ mister. I then give the leaves a mist in the late evening. I have found it helps, but it's not 100%.
    Just something we maple growers have to live with I'm afraid.

8. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

First three pics are my big old potted Mirte top of the garden plenty of sun , will start to go olive green soon , seeing slight change already , then the last pic is of a young one , will plant out later and go through the whole growing process again has with the big one.

Attached Files:

Karl Villareal, D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  9. Karl Villareal

Wow Yorkie! mirte has lovely colors apparently, whereas mine is still green. Can Mirte take much sun more than a Moonrise?
    My moonrise is in a sunny spot (after hearing it can take so much sun), it has some crunchy leaves. And am planning to swap it with an Autumn moon