Identification: White fungi/mold growing in foundation cracks of basement

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by nbloom, Jun 8, 2022.

1. nbloom

nbloom New Member

This fungi/mold has been growing in my basement in an old home I've moved to at the end of the Winter season. It seemed to rapidly begin growing since the start of Spring. I wiped it away with a bleach and water solution shortly after I first started to notice it growing, but it quickly began growing back to roughly the same amount about 2-3 days later. It's been a couple weeks since then, and the picture here is the tallest section of it in the basement.

Any help in identifying this or how to best remove/prevent future growth would be greatly appreciated! 20220608_122636.jpg

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums!

Efflorescence vs mold:
    A trained mold inspector can readily determine if the growth structure is from white mold or efflorescence. Additionally, efflorescence will typically dissolve under the application of a water mist, while mold growth will not. Other helpful distinguishing characteristics include the material of the substrate. Efflorescence will only occur on concrete, brick or other masonry structures. If you find a white mold like substance on sheet rock or wood, you can certainly rule out efflorescence. Another indication, though imperfect, is the presence of a mold smell. Efflorescence is odorless, while mold growth often produces a musty odor

Above from this source:
    White Mold Growth in Your Home | Causes & Solutions - Environix

Efflorescence is often mistaken for white mold in basement concrete because they look a lot alike. In fact, to the untrained eye, efflorescence is almost identical to white mold.
    White mold in basement concrete

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Interesting - thank you @togata57!
    I am new to efflorescence but nbloom's photo does not so far appear to be fungal, and it *does* match photos I see online of efflorescence. What an intriguing structure!

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    Frog likes this.