Appreciation: Spring maples 2022

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Apr 12, 2022.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

CB2D6DE7-017B-4254-8E88-CD8CD527B9DB.jpeg 393957CB-7557-4FED-BF35-53D7C8931E0A.jpeg 63F8EB36-ECD9-4FAF-B352-B7712052895D.jpeg 54AB67EA-8781-49C7-8361-85B02C6E8849.jpeg 5724463D-78D8-4403-A18F-333CAADF5A9E.jpeg 6E5CD12E-5E3E-4FD7-9F01-D66697591C12.jpeg 5E2D9BCB-77A4-484D-9D96-50A1FCFB11E2.jpeg Few more jungle pics apols for the repetition

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Gorgeous Rich. Something about Cornus and JMs is magic.

Thanks for your kind words. It really is a strange thing for most people; the inevitable question I get is: but why maples? haha. I've had different answers over the years, but I think the best one is that maples are just so interesting. And of course watching and helping them grow and get better is a huge part... We bought the farm in '92, and the old farmers had cut down every tree that could be burned, it was almost a total blank canvas, aside from the very old Tilias in front of the house, absolutely the worst firewood imaginable. There were some enormous cherry and oak stumps. It's been a lot of fun (and work!) to plant and train and watch it grow up. It's funny how some maples go in and grow like rockets; others sulk for years and then suddenly: boom. And of course, others just sit and never grow much, even if they're very pretty; I think a lot has to do with the understock in a lot of these cases. But there are so many factors, local soil conditions and pH, water flow, exposition... I just wish I had less pots, it takes me about 3-5 years to go from buying to planting out, they're a bit of a PITA, heh.

I think most of the maples will outlive us, I hope the kids will be willing to take care of the place, unlikely as it may seem!

maf and dicky5ash like this.
  3. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

@Xi-feng you had asked about the Itami Nishiki... It arrived today, much sooner than expected!

It's completely green but I'm not sure what conditions it was grown in, so next couple of years will more likely give a better idea!
    PXL_20220601_124805304.jpg

Reticulatum purple also very green but showing some veining. Again next year will hopefully be more indicative.

PXL_20220601_124836392.jpg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

A little more sun will do the trick Chris. Looks very healthy though.

Cattwooduk likes this.
  5. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

Yeah I figured they've probably been in a poly tunnel or under shade since grafting. I've put them with all my little Hippo plants for now, morning sun until midday. One or two of those have got a smallest bit of crispy edges but it'll toughen them up a bit. I'll move them into more shade in mid summer though.

Edit: in fact I only noticed the very faintest of variation on the margins of Itami Nishiki by looking at those pictures! It's barely visible otherwise.

AlainK likes this.
  6. Acerholic

I've always found that the variegation gets better as the tree and leaves age.
    Not 100% true of all cultivars though of course.

Cattwooduk likes this.
  7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

That sounds all right : my variegated maples show more "variagation" when they get at least 3 hours of full sun.

Cattwooduk and maf like this.
  8. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Ooohh thank you, it looks like a very healthy little thing -- hopefully more sun will bring out the colour, and likewise with the reticulatum purple. Do keep posting pictures of them please!

9. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just a few pics of Spring leaf trees now going into Summer leaf. Loving this Elmwood can't wait until the fall for this one. And finally Phoenix the last twelve pics , been one of my favourite trees up to press this year , so vibrant.

Attached Files:

10. Jlo

Jlo Active Member

Some Spring pictures of some of my maples down under in Maleny, Australia

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

And there's us in the Northern hemisphere with Autumn colours coming in. Too easy to forget our maple friends in Australia now entering Spring. Lovely @Jlo

AlainK and Soumil Yarlagadda like this.
  12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's like a cool, refreshing drink. Thanks!

AlainK likes this.
  13. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Great! Thanks for posting.

14. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Super photos - I have a friend that lives near Noosa ..not that far from you!