Seeds ???

Discussion in 'Maples' started by irshmerc, May 31, 2022.

1. irshmerc

irshmerc Member

Hi Lads, how we doing

I had a quick search and most of the posts seem to relate to autumn for seeds, i have these seeds appearing now on 3 or 4 trees. What can be done with them, treated in the same manner as autumn seeds or what, quite a few have appeared and I have never noticed them before at this time of year.

Thanks, your knowledge is appreciated.

Good luck

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

They will not be ripe until the autumn. The Japanese maples flower in early spring around the time of leafout, and the young nutlets can be seen soon after, but need time to develop. Kind of like apples, well not really but you get the idea... Wait till September at the earliest to pick them... if they come away from the tree easily then they are ready to be picked.... kind of like apples again, but not really.

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

I've sown and germinated a few hundred seeds the last 2-3 years. I would collect them in late October and sow them into trays with drainage straight away, water and cover with glass or clear plastic sheet. As soon as you see one or two sprout (probably Feb/march weather dependent), I then move the trays into the greenhouse and within a couple of weeks there will be loads activated by the temp increase.

Acerholic likes this.
  4. irshmerc

irshmerc Member

Thanks Lads, i have grown a few on from the last two years, but never before have i seen seeds appear this early in the year.

Good luck

Cattwooduk and maf like this.
  5. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

I've got quite a few more this year than last as well, and some on trees that haven't produced any before!