Favorite maple nurserys in Oregon

Discussion in 'Maples' started by banjoboy, Sep 15, 2009.

1. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

Helllo,
    I was hoping we could start a thread listing all the good japanese maple nurseries in Oregon. I know there are tons and i think it would be fun to have a nice list of the best.

I'll start, my 2 favorites are Del's japanese maples and Greers. Both are in the Eugene area.

2. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

I spend alot of time (and money) at Greer's for my maples and many other plants. I still haven't been to Del's as I thought it was a wholesale nursery. Do they have a large selection of maples, or just the ones that Del has introduced?

3. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

They have lots of maples. Very reasonable prices too. They are off of River rd past santa clara.

4. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

I was really hoping this thread would take off. It is disappointing when you drive to a nursery to find they only have bloodgoods and red dissectums. Anyone?

5. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

I have purchased 40+ maples from stanley and sons via mail order. Great prices and fairly extensive list at certain times of year. Only 1 gallon size usually.

They are in boring oregon and their catalog indicates that they allow visitors. see link below (look at text under "LOCATION").

http://www.stanleyandsons.com/online_catalog.cfm?page=102

the current availability list shows over 100 cultivars available.

they are a wholesale nursery, but will allow collectors to purchase if they are members of american conifer society and go through the registration process to access the online inventory.

Keith

6. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Gossler Farms Nursery is the best I have found, Roger gets a lot of his trees from Talon Buchholz.

I've been trying to get ahold or find Del's Japanese Maples but I think it's closed?

What are the best in the Portland area?

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

8. JoshuaL

JoshuaL Member

Hi, Connor. A lot of nurseries in the Portland area regularly stock a wide variety of Japanese Maples. Rare and hard to find ones are not uncommon. This area is pretty much ground zero for Japanese Maples. We are very lucky.

I have personally purchased trees from all of the following local nurseries... Farmington Gardens, Garden World, Loen Nursery, Portland Nursery, Dennis' 7 Dees, and Cornell Farm. Garden World, Dennis' 7 Dees, and Cornell Farm post their current inventory online which is nice. Some of these nurseries propagate their own trees.

Just outside of Portland... Whitman Farms in Salem is a very experienced grower and a cool place to visit. Eastfork Nursery is just across the border in Washington. The owner is extremely knowledgeable and posts here. I believe she is winding down her business. Conifer Kingdom in Silverton has a large selection, but you are not able to shop in-person there. You can pick up online orders or browse. Don Schmidt Nursery out of Boring is an exceptional website resource.

Connor Sullivan and maf like this.
  9. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed response Joshua!

I have been to Eastfork Nursery and met with Sam, she has wonderful trees and is partly responsible for my quarantine maple addiction!

I definitely need to travel to Don Schmidt Nursery and the Whitman Farms in Salem.