Have I murdered my Clematis?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Keith Elliott, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

About two weeks ago we bought a clematis in the typical 1 gallon pot.

Today I finally got around to planting it. The instructions were for an 18" square and deep hole to which you add compost etc.

When it came time to remove the clematis from the pot, I failed to notice that the stake to which the clematis was tied, was also stapled to the pot.

The stem of the little plant I think got broken in two places as a result of my goofus uppus. Regardless of that, I have tied the plant up as well as I could, given that it took three hours to go through this whole operation.

First photo, as bought.

IMG_5052.JPG

Second photo, last night after my trip to the coast for two days.

IMG_5367.JPG

Today, before I removed it from the pot.

IMG_5467.JPG

Late today, during and after the planting episode. I guess I will find out tomorrow if it has decided to survive the night.

IMG_5488.JPG IMG_5489.JPG

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

You should wait until this time next year before giving up on your clematis because, even if the stem was broken, another could very well emerge from the root. Advice is that clematis should be planted lower in the hole than you would normally plant other things. Also, you probably know that clematis like a somewhat alkaline soil do you? And that their roots need to be shaded? Sorry if I'm reminding you of what you already know but I'd like to see that plant of yours survive.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  3. Keith Elliott

Thank you Margot! I only just read about the clematis just before we went over and bought it a couple of weeks ago. The choice was very limited but this one is supposed to be OK here.

The little plant got buckled when the stake refused to come away from the pot. So it is badly bent in two places. I'm not too hopeful for the top, but the rootball should be OK until next spring.

The top two or three inches of what you see in the hole is mulch, so maybe I have it about right. If not, I can always add some height to the sides of that little bed.

This is an area where I started to remove some of that awful black landscaping cloth that Val seems to love so much. The ground underneath it had already turned into what looked like a dead, black, heavy mud affair. Acerholic warned me about that stuff, along with your post from the good Dr. in Washington State. I'm not surprised that plants will not grow under that cloth. Here's part of what I removed, lots more to go tomorrow.

IMG_5480.JPG

4. Keith Elliott

So far it appears that the clematis is much tougher than I thought. Here is this mornings' photo along with another of two buds that I don't think were even there three days ago.

IMG_5567.JPG IMG_5568.JPG

Xi-feng and Margot like this.
  5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Absolutely must have “feet in shade - Head in sun”

Did I miss the NAME of your clematis ?

It is pretty.

6. Keith Elliott

Maybe, "Multi Blue".

7. Keith Elliott

It looks like Mother Nature builds these plants to survive, despite the clumsy handedness of old jokes like myself. This is taken 4 1/2 days after the previous photo and she is still hanging in there. Now has four buds in the making. How it is going to make out with temperatures in the 40's for the next few days has me wondering.

IMG_5893.JPG

Acerholic and Xi-feng like this.
  8. Keith Elliott

Well, here's the answer to my previous post...all four of the new buds have turned into flowers! Considering the wicked heat here and the nasty little accident that befell the plant, it is doing amazingly well.

IMG_5980.JPG IMG_5981.JPG

9. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I'm happy to hear your clematis has overcome the little 'incident' when it was planted, keep in mind that even if you were to cut it off at ground level, it would very likely send up another stem next year.

10. Keith Elliott

Thanks @Margot, next time you can bet I will be looking for the staple to pull out.

It doesn't get that warm here until later in the day, so shortly after noon it's only 37º here yet.

11. Keith Elliott

While we really haven't had spring weather here yet, I will say that the clematis has sent up nice new shoots and looks to be on its' way to another good year. Once I see some flowers in the offing, I'll see if I can conjure up a couple of pics.

Margot likes this.