Gout Weed

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by jtham9660, May 8, 2022.

1. jtham9660

jtham9660 Member

Anyone has any idea how to remove Gout Weed. West Coast Seeds in Ladner BC sold me five packets of contaminated seeds . And I have seen them spread like fire. I have tried removing the rhizomes but they come back quickly .

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Are you saying that you have gout weed growing from seed? How long ago would they have been planted? Do you have a photo or two showing the area affected?

3. jtham9660

jtham9660 Member

Yes. The seeds were contaminated with few packets of other seeds which I bought from the supplier West Coast Seeds . I try to feed the bunnies (which they will eat - smells like carrot plant) and deadhead them before the flowers seed !

Attached Files:

4. Margot

Could you say how long ago were the seeds planted?

5. jtham9660

jtham9660 Member

Two - three years

6. Margot

You must think I am beating around the bush in answer to your question. I wanted to get an idea of how well established the patch was and it does look like it's been there for a while. It is possible to eliminate goutweed over several years if you first dig all you can and then consistently monitor the area to pull any remnants as they emerge. I did that many years ago but it still grew back from the neighbours side of the fence.
    Not everyone will agree with this advice but I use glyphosate (Roundup) up now on small, impossible-to-control weeds. I would suggest combining the physical removal with sparing use of Roundup on new leaves that continue to show up. Often, using a small paintbrush is a better way to apply it than with a pump sprayer.

7. jtham9660

jtham9660 Member

I am appreciative of your suggestions. But it will be too much to ‘paintbrush’ . So I am trying to Google it and see if the new young growths are edible to help in diuretic use . Apparently the young shots tastes like spinach if it helps in gout treatments or not ?