evergreen with blooms?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Amanda Living Walls, May 4, 2022.

1. Amanda Living Walls

Amanda Living Walls New Member

is there a native species of climbing evergreen that would occasionally get blooms? ideally shade tolerant but supplemental light can be added if needed

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2022
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Lonicera hispidula - Hairy Honeysuckle or Pink Honeysuckle. E-Flora BC Atlas Page It is pretty but not fragrant. I find this vine is just as happy to trail along the ground as it is to climb but it will climb with encouragement and support. If you want to train it up a tree, make sure the tree is well-established - I have seen this vine literally choke younger, smaller trees.

3. Amanda Living Walls

Thank you for the suggestions Margot!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Unlike in rainforests lianas just aren't a basic component of the native vegetation in our region. Here and there Lonicera ciliosa and L. hispidula can be seen having gone up trees to some distance and that is about it. With the latter having a component of live leaves that are kept overwinter, but never giving the impression of a dedicatedly evergreen plant like an ivy.

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Here are a few photos of predatory Lonicera hispidula . . .
    Lonicera hispidula strangling a tree #1.JPG Lonicera hispidula strangling a tree #2.JPG Lonicera hispidula strangling a tree #3.JPG Lonicera hispidula in Garry Oak.JPG

The first 3 pictures are self-explanatory I think. The fourth shows one of the most beautiful L. hispidula I've ever seen festooning a Garry Oak in my garden. The funny thing is that, while there was no evidence of the tree being strangled or compromised in any way, it died the year after this photo was taken. Weird eh?

Amanda Living Walls likes this.
  6. Amanda Living Walls

Wow! Maybe not the best option, as I will have to combine it with 2 or 3 other species of plantings. The knotted/braided vines look wild!! I think my approach will be to plant some evergreen vines, maybe 2 species, and then have something else with blooms for spring/summer.