Shears

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by passionflower, Apr 26, 2006.

1. passionflower

passionflower Member

Does anyone know of a good pair of garden shears-scissor-like type. I just purchased Fiskars for $24.95 and they are lousy and I took them back. I have also tried some from Lee Valley-they too are useless. Any help on this?

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm not quite clear on what you mean by scissor-type, perhaps you could post a link to the Lee Valley ones you rejected from their website? It may also depend on what you are trying to do with them. If it is grass shears, we find the Lee Valley ones quite satisfactory, but they don't do much but cut grass (or perhaps light hedging).

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have a few sets, spear and jackson are nice if you can find them, but my day to day pair are a pair I bought at gardenworks for about 25 bucks. they have an adjustment knob for tension that is great. I would show a pic but they are down in the truck at the moment..

4. passionflower

passionflower Member

Thanks for the tip. When I get down to Van I will but a pair of these (is it just a no-name pair?) The ones from Fiskars had no adjustment and they just pulled the grass out, not cut it. Where is Gardenworks located by the way? Thanks

5. passionflower

passionflower Member

It's the type one uses to just trim the grass around the sidewalk areas-light duty. They are not the long-handled type.

6. jimmyq

I found them at the burnaby location on lougheed near holdom. there is only one model that I have seen with an adjustable knob. it seems to work for me. talk to Darryl in the garden supplies dept , or ask for Alan. they are the two usual fellows I deal with there.

7. passionflower

passionflower Member

My husband went to that location but the woman that helped him couldn't find a pair like you described. Instead he bought a pair (no adjustment) for 45.99 (Corona) with a lifetime guarantee-they seem ok.

Thanks for the information you provided.

8. jimmyq

they have a whole wall full of them , for like 25$ but if you found some and they work, no worries. :)