Appreciation: Spring maples 2022

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Apr 12, 2022.

1. MapleZen

MapleZen Well-Known Member

Can you tell the theme? I love having both red and green cultivars with the same morphology -- Shishigashira and Kurenai Jishi, Koto No Ito and Villa Taranto, etc.
    Shishigashira......................Kurenai Jishi....................Koto No Ito......................Villa Taranto
    IMG_9624.JPG IMG_9619.JPG IMG_9617.JPG IMG_9620.JPG
    Ukigumo.............................Mikawa..............................Germaine's Gyration......Hubb's Red Willow.........
    IMG_9616.JPG IMG_9618.JPG IMG_9623.JPG IMG_9622.JPG
    Amagi Shigure
    IMG_9621.JPG

wind-borne, emery, ROEBUK and 9 others like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Your Red lion is just amazing @MapleZen

MapleZen likes this.
  3. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Baldsmith
    Emerald lace - this is a monster of a cultivar!
    Jordan - to replace the one that snuffed it over winter
    Viridis and ornatum
    Pixie - As labeled but seems to be growing too strong - any thoughts welcome

Attached Files:

wind-borne, ROEBUK, Xi-feng and 6 others like this.
  4. Acerholic

Beautiful photos R, so much colour. Re Pixie, could it not be a Bloodgood !!? Those leaves look a bit big for Pixie IMO. Although I have seen some very big Pixies. Charlie at Amazing Maples had one at least 12ft tall.

dicky5ash likes this.
  5. dicky5ash

Thanks D. Could be bloodgood I guess..the leaves are a bit smaller than my Bloodgood but bigger than skeeters broom for example. On this tree the leaves appear to grow in dense clusters, rather than an open/spread formation..I’d be interested to know whether pice has fairly dense clusters.

6. Acerholic

Yes definitely a lot tighter cluster than Bloodgood and as you say less than Skeeters. Pixie is a very slow grower (dwarf), mine manages only a few inches a year tbh, so I can see your conundrum re label and growth rate. I've studied your photo again and from what I can see, those leaf clusters are not tight enough for Pixie. Quite similar to my Atropurpureum if I'm honest.
    Hope I haven't muddied the waters re ID R. But those are my thoughts.

dicky5ash likes this.
  7. MapleZen

MapleZen Well-Known Member

I agree -- I have a bloodgood that I've been trimming to be more shrub-like than tree-like, and it looks just like that.

dicky5ash likes this.
  8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Pixie does indeed have dense clusters of leaves, quite unlike a typical Bloodgood or Atropurpureum in growth habit. According to Vertrees/Gregory 4th edition, Pixie is reputed to have originated as a witches-broom on a Bloodgood.

If you look in the photo gallery there are some quite large ones - I guess it depends on how vigorous a rootstock is used as to how big or quick they might grow.

dicky5ash likes this.
  9. dicky5ash

Thanks Maf. The growth habit it quite different to bloodgood and Atropurpureum..it was only the growth rate..but like you say it might be on good legs!! It got hit badly by a frost in April 2021 but has come back super strong.

maf likes this.
  10. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Thanks Lisa and Derek for your kind assistance. I kinda sorta figured some surgery would be required. Will do that tout suite.

Do you think moving it into a container would help or would that be too much additional stress?

11. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

@dangerine49 , Derek is more knowledgeable in that area for sure. However, I think that would be a very personal decision and also very dependent on your current weather and if you a have a recovery space you could keep it for the summer months. Has any pesticides or anything been applied to the ground or other trees, or many work on your home? I killed a tree by using a pesticide on bugs nearby, the wind change and much of the plume of fumes landed on a small tree I was growing. It died very quickly.

12. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

No there were no chemicals applied to my property and all the surrounding plants are healthy. I could keep it in a sheltered area if I moved it into a container. Weather has been cool and wet here so far.

13. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Well that’s probably the best conditions if your going to go that route, @Acerholic will have more educated advice on if it’s a better gamble. Good luck please keep us posted.

14. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Decided to have a walk in my garden this evening after some earlier rain.. a few of my trees are finally looking more like Japanese Maples in Spring (these were mostly all closed, weepy or shrivelled looking last week) so here are a few pics of a few that are shining tonight. Not too sure who’s taking the stage, those that woke up really are stunning.

Omure Yama
    4D9E7306-85BA-4FF4-B093-3156E6DB3148.jpeg
    Orangeola
    A45C5EB6-B481-45D7-B7F0-E2EFEF960999.jpeg
    Shu Shidare
    E2B5D99C-0DAB-4DBD-95FF-FE5B77383B57.jpeg
    Katsura
    0A14FAF3-B477-4C9B-924A-1DCE093EEB2E.jpeg
    Villa Taranto
    121F4E52-59AC-4FC8-8231-6285F0FFCBDE.jpeg
    Ara Kawa (Rough Bark) - recently up potted
    A6803897-8831-4D08-AF9C-AAAB7A97E169.jpeg
    Orange Dream
    8AF76213-4AF4-4CDC-825D-5B56A0D5EEC3.jpeg
    Taylor
    8F370DFD-590B-453C-AC85-EE8B02D15CD9.jpeg
    Moonrise
    996AD929-9B0E-4F5B-9120-281D30FF6E0D.jpeg
    Red Cloud
    A689F011-B609-43DD-A0C6-FCA054E0A943.jpeg
    Hana Matoi - recently repotted, cleaned to roots - no pruning
    A9D44150-66FA-4F6F-B286-E196376BCD9F.jpeg
    BD5A0533-81A3-435E-B5CD-19B7B7616840.jpeg
    Ice Dragon
    BBDFF156-33B5-4E22-9AAC-38C362B09485.jpeg
    13AFB039-D0C0-45EC-A3D7-5725C140FBCE.jpeg

15. Acerholic

I would leave it in place until dormancy J, then if need be, put it in a pot in a sheltered area for a year. But if it were mine I would leave it alone after pruning out the bad, water regularly, loosen the soil and apply a mulch. And then let it heal.

dangerine49 and Lisa Harry like this.
  16. Acerholic

So wonderful when you can finally say 'Spring is here' with no fear of frosts and walk amongst your trees and just stand back and admire. I think we are all with you there Lisa. They are all looking lovely.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  17. Acerholic

Here in England the working week has started again. It was a rather cool Bank Holiday, but they say warmth is on the way. I do know that my maples are looking forward to it !! A few more have come out to play this morning like Lisa's.
    Hana Matoi...........................................Ryusen...........................................Tsuma beni
    Hana Matoi May 3rd 2022.JPG Ryusen May 3rd 2022.JPG Tsuma beni May 3rd 2022.JPG
    Fairy Lights...........................................Ariake nomura...............................Matsu kaze
    Fairy lights May 3rd 2022.JPG Ariake Nomura May 3rd 2022.JPG Matsukaze May 3rd 2022.JPG
    Peaches and cream...........................Reticulatum.....................................Orangeola
    Peaches and cream May 3rd 2022.JPG Reticulatum May 3rd 2022.JPG Orangeola May 3rd 2022.JPG
    Iijima sunago
    Iijima sunago May 3rd 2022.JPG

18. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Amber Ghost just putting on it's summer outfit.
    1651574257800.jpg

wind-borne, AlainK, JoshuaL and 10 others like this.
  19. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

That one is certainly one for the books what an incredible colour of transition. Great photo

D97x7 likes this.
  20. Acerholic

D97x7 likes this.
  21. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Few reticulates from the past two days. Kasagi yama x 2 Koyuki x 2 Wills Devine x 2 Ariadne x 2 Elmwood x 2 aka shigitatsusawa x 2 and Purple ghost x 2 :)

Attached Files:

wind-borne, emery, MapleMO and 7 others like this.
  22. dicky5ash

Who’s creepy little fingers do these belong to?
    Not worth posting a photo of the whole tree yet!

Attached Files:

MapleMO, Stuart McKenna and Acerholic like this.
  23. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Not sure but they look like their going to be amazing!!!

24. Acerholic

Ikandi???

25. dicky5ash

I wish, I saw 3foot one of those in Burford garden centre in the Cotswolds last Spring..pre-leaf out - they wanted £380 for it or something similar eek!

Youre very close Derek but no prize today!

maf likes this.