FloweringTree Idenitification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by mamaw, May 10, 2006.

1. mamaw

mamaw Member

Olathe, Kansas. I am trying to identify a flowering tree I saw along a City road. This is a controlled enviroment, not wilderness area. It appears to be of medium size, accent size, and the flowers hang like bunches of grapes and are a fuschia purple color. Any one know what this tree is?
    I have attached a picture. Thank you so much!

Attached Files:

• tree.pdf
      File size:
      96.2 KB
      Views:
  2. oscar

oscar Active Member

Looks a bit like a Robinia, i could be wrong as the picture quality is not that good :(

3. mamaw

mamaw Member

Can you tell me any more info? I apologize for the picture quality, I had to change the format to attach. The flowers hang in a manner that makes you think of small bunches of grapes. It this tree native to Kansas, zone 5?

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Not a lilac variety?

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've altered the attachment to jpg and rotated it.

Attached Files:

6. mamaw

mamaw Member

I wonder about it being a lilac variety, but can not find info. The flowers hang and look like small bunches of grapes hanging down from the tree.

7. mamaw

mamaw Member

I have attached a closer view of the flowers on this tree.

Attached Files:

8. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

perhaps a better picture is in order? this one can be expanded and rotated many times but it isnt clear enough to make out details that will help to identify it with any certainty.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Locust (Robinia).

10. mamaw

mamaw Member

The flowers hang down and look like a small bunch of grapes is the best describition I can give. Here is one more picture. Appreciate everyones help.

Attached Files:

11. mamaw

mamaw Member

I looked up Robinia on internet and it shows a white to yellow flower similar to a dogwood and berries and nuts. The flowers on this small tree are fushia (of the purple huge) and actually hang down and look like small bunches of grapes. I will try looking for locus trees. Thanks for the info.

12. mamaw

mamaw Member

Try this picture. I have a better quality but it the size is not accepted by this site. I used a friends camera to get the pictures I have so not sure I can get any more. I think the sun was shinning a little to bright the day I took the picture. Thanks for trying.

Attached Files:

13. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

there is a locust that is called 'Purple Robe' that has flowers of that color.

14. mamaw

mamaw Member

I will look into the locus purple robe tree. Sounds like this might be it! Second response telling me it is in the Locus family. I do so appreciate everyones help. I love that tree and want to purchase one for my yard. Now to find a nursey or website with the tree. Any one got any ideas on that issue??

15. mamaw

mamaw Member

Located webpage on Purple Robe Locust. This is the tree I was trying to indentify. Thank you so much for your help. Now, I just need to find out where I can buy one.

16. Ron B

There are others on the market that look like it, but probably all you require is one that has the same general appearance as the one you first saw.

You apparently didn't look long enough at photos of locusts (Robinia) on line to notice that they come in more colors than white--and none are yellow--probably you also looked for "locust" instead of "robinia". To be most successful with web searches you have to use sufficiently precise terms, when looking for plants using scentific (or cultivar) names gives you the most pertinent hits.

Locust (Robinia) is in the Pea Family (Fabaceae), its fruits are podlike.

17. mamaw

mamaw Member

Thank you for the info! I can use all the help I can get in searching plants. What others are on the market? You are right, I probably did not look for all varieties. I did do another search for Robinia and found out additional information. Are the locust trees subject to bores? Would you recommend this tree for the greater Kansas City area? Although it has wonderful and different flowers, would hate to have serious problems with it later on as it matures. I am just now learning about trees as my main focus has been on my flower gardens in the past till I moved to a new house with no trees! I love unusual plants and trees. Again, thank you for your input.

18. Ron B

19. mamaw

mamaw Member

Thank you for the site. I will check it out. Clarifiaciton on your message: you stated "but uselful for site conditions, you would not enjoy" Are you saying I would not enjoy this tree or only in certain site conditions? The residential area I live in is fairly new subdivision and very few trees have been planted. Those planted are smaller. I was thinking of this tree in the north east corner of my back yard within proper planting distance from neighbors fences to allow for growth. Not looking for dogwood type tree for this spot. I will take look at black locust. Thanks again for your input.

20. Ron B

You mis-read it, I posted "these would not enjoy".

21. mamaw

mamaw Member

I am still not clear on what you are trying to say to me. I am so sorry, you must think me the dumbest individual on this site! (:

22. oscar

oscar Active Member

I think Ron is saying Robinia needs different conditions to Cornus and Magnolia, Robinia pseudoacacia is very prone to sucker (here in the UK) , and it is a very large tree, but has its uses in the landscape.
    Try posting in the woody plant section asking for tree recommendations for your soil type, aspect and anything else you think might be relevant, eg summer flowering or ferny leaves.

23. debbieg

debbieg Member

Couldn't help but jump in here on the locust topic. In the area I live in there are so many locust that have just been blooming beautifully. Most people do not like locust's
    because you have little baby ones to come up everywhere, but like anything invasive pull it up or mow it down. The pink ones here in Kentucky in the wild normally do not become trees but more many stemmed shrubby things. Just recently saw a beautiful tree form at a nursery. Want it so badly but alas I'll have to wait.

24. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

25. mamaw

mamaw Member

Thanks to everyone for the information and good advise! Much appreciated. I will follow each advise given before I purchase. Again, thank you for your responses on my pursuite of the purple robe locust.