Acer palmatum 'Kurenai Jishi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by bub72ck, Jun 7, 2015.

1. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

Discovered by Masayoshi Yano in Japan. Name means Red Lion. Has a very compact growth with red foliage in sun. Supposed to reach 4' tall and 3' wide in 10 years.

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I have seen the translation of this tree name Acer palmatum 'Kurenai jishi' described as various colors of lion. Black lion, Red lion, purple-red lion, ect. All seem to correctly agree that jishi means lion. But the conflicting descriptions of kurenai probably come from the language barrier between English and Japanese, using basic colors or color combinations to describe what is actually "Crimson".

Definition:
    Kurenai (紅) is a Japanese word meaning crimson and is sometimes used as a name.

Going forward I will refer to Acer palmatum 'Kurenai jishi' as "Crimson lion"

I always wanted this tree when I saw Masayoshi Yano, a respected plantsman, holding his new discovery proudly with a smile on Buchholz website:
    1?W=11d&H=17c&T=false&V=5d81de1e.jpg

I wanted the tree because of my admiration for the man who discovered it.

Yesterday I saw one for the first time at a rural garden center that was on clearance for 44.50 marked down from 120.50. With the additional discount I believe it was around 25.00 out the door, so I could not pass it up. The tree needs some TLC and I bought it for the vision that I see the tree can become once I treat the bacterial infection, repot with soil that is not so swampy (currently has lots of hardwood mulch and composted peat, which holds too much moisture and probably contributed to the bacterial outbreak and the loss in vigor). So here are some pictures of my little garden center treasure / project. My wife thinks its crazy ugly (coming from someone who shares the same passion for plants), but she warmed up to it when I told her the translation and the background information of the tree.
    Note that photos were taken in manual mode "no filter" to show the true color of the leaves.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Continued photos from my post above...(I got a little carried away with the photos)....

Attached Files:

4. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

Very nice color JT. This is such a unique tree. The photos below are the same tree as above. It has grown a few inches in the last two years.

2D2AB3C6-F722-44ED-95D1-7830C386397A_zpsvnpwbdkz.jpg
    AF8ED7B2-484A-4DBB-AE83-44CDF5A51358_zpsxfjormtr.jpg

5. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

My first spring with ‘Kurenai Jishi’ with a late spring snow.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

What a photo of Spring . Glad to see you have a good sense of humour. Hope it does OK.

7. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

This one weathered the snow much better than the other's that had leafed out. At the very least I got some interesting pictures out of the situation.

8. Acerholic

You definitely did that. I enjoyed the photo @Worldly_Wrangler

9. Romain01

Romain01 Well-Known Member Maple Society

I bought this JM last year, imported from Japan, it comes directly from Mr Yano Masayoshi (creator of this variety) early spring it lost a lot of leaves... definitely too much water in the roots , it is now stable!

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  10. Acerholic

Very difficult to control the water in pots outside in Spring, but I'm glad you brought it back. That's quite an import all the way from Japan !!