exotic mystery plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by debbieg, May 11, 2006.

1. debbieg

debbieg Member

The plant that I need identified is in a different garden than mine. When it first emerged from the ground it was very similar to a Jack-in-the-pulpit (pardon the common names). The stems of the this plant was quite mottled, again the leaves similar to the Jack-in-the-pulpit maybe with a more ruffled edge. As the plant has gotten larger the stem rose up and then created a semi-circle like the maiden hair fern. I have not as yet seen it bloom which is suppose to be very exotic and strange and have a large dark red spathe extruding from it, hence me thinking it in the Jack family. The lady that the house was purchased from said it was called a dragon's tongue or at least that's what they thought she said. I have no photo's to send and probably would not know how to send them if I did. We are in Kentucky. The plant is in mostly shade. Hope someone can come up with an answer. If looked through all my books but can't come up with anything. Thanks in advance. Debbieg

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

I wonder if it is Dracunculus vulgaris.

Raakel

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

[​IMG]

I took this picture about three weeks ago or so, so it is about twice this size now.
    Dracunculus vulgaris

4. debbieg

debbieg Member

Thanks to both replies from Raakel and Carol Ja you were both right on it. I am so truly impressed by each person and others with their extreme knowledge. I thought I knew some but man do I ever feel pretty stupid. I am definitely hooked to this sight. Ron B makes me want to bow and say I'm unworthy. Thanks again for the help.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you see it in full bloom you may decide you are lucky it came up someplace else, it is a carrion imitator that supports the deception (color and surface texture of a wound) with suitable aroma. Otherwise, it's pretty cool to have around (I don't mind the smell but some find such things intolerable).

6. Carol Ja

It smells like road kill on a really hot day.

7. debbieg

debbieg Member

Thanks for the warning from Carol Ja and Ron B. I still think I want it but I'll just put it in one of the beds away from the house. It's just too strange and interesting to not have. Carol Ja, I wonder if you are like me and just love plants and have taken the time to learn the scientific name (which I know) experts like Ron B have taken years of schooling for but you may have also, don't know. I just know that I find the scientific name tiresome and yes I know there is a purpose for it but I just enjoy the names my mom and friends have taught me. I know that all you devout plant experts are out there pooh-poohing me but it still comes down to the same thing we all love the plant and flower world. Thanks again. debbieg

8. Carol Ja

Yeah, I'm not a latin girl. For plants that I deal with on a daily basis, I know both names, and probably the whole history of the genus. Anything else, I become common as anything. lol