Identifying the variety of rubber tree plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by plantlady22, Apr 25, 2022.

1. plantlady22

plantlady22 Active Member

I was given this rubber tree plant. I am trying to identify which variety it is. I am think that it is a Ficus elastica Robusta. As you can see in the pictures it does not have any red ribbing on either side of the leaf. I am not sure though. Any help in identify the variety would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Plantlady22

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Ficus elastica seems right. Ficus elastica - Wikipedia says that the 'Robusta' hybrid has broader, stiffer and more upright leaves.

3. plantlady22

Thanks. I wasn't sure sure because I saw pictures of the Ficus elastica and it had pink/red ribbing on the under side.

4. wcutler

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

According to Ficus Production Guide:
    A reference book describes 'Decora' as having foliage that is "tinted pinky-bronze when first opening". There was no mention of a red margin for any of the cultivars mentioned.

Edit: Corrected misplaced comment.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  6. wcutler

'Decora' and 'Robusta' are still cultivars of Ficus elastica. Their descriptions both indicate red or pink colouration that is lacking in this plant.

7. Junglekeeper

Perhaps, as with a jade, the red is only expressed when the plant receives enough light.

8. plantlady22

As long as I have had the plant it has not had any red/pink coloring in the under margins of the plant. I have it in a bright location but it does not receive direct sunlight. It appears to be getting enough sunlight. In my research I have come across pictures of rubber tree plants that look just like mine. Of course it does not attribute the picture to anyone cultivar.

9. Junglekeeper

It occurred to me that my quote may have been misinterpreted. I was not suggesting the OP's plant isn't F. elastica or one of its cultivars. I was not aware, until I had read that article, that the species has been displace in favor of fancier cultivars so I thought I would share that information. The point I was trying to get across was that what is available at retail is then likely to be a cultivar rather than the species itself. Perhaps I could have been clearer with my response. It was not my intent to confuse the issue.

10. plantlady22

I reexamined my plant. I have new leaves that have recently sprouted. The leaves have the red/pink margins on the under side.