Identification: Help ID these 2 plants so that I can care for them

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by plantlover, May 10, 2006.

1. plantlover

plantlover Member

One of my neighbors moved and had left a few plants behind. Their previous landlord gave them to me. The problem is....I have no idea what they are so that I can take care of them.

I'm hoping someone can help me ID these plants.

These plants are damaged and I just want to do whatever is right for them to live. It appears they may have went awhile without any watering and too much sun. Since they still have green, though, I think there's hope.

This one had a lot of dried up, yellowed leaves, which I removed to reveal the green for this picture. I also watered it a little. I wanted to know more about it before I try to repot it or do anything else to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next one appears to have at one time been a full plant but had been neglected and had too much sun. I removed the dead dried yellow leaves and gave it a little water. It appears to have stem-like things like these (the trunk-like things) with some new leaf growth (the partially folded leaf), so I feel there's some hope...if I only knew what kind of plant it was to care for it.
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of a leaf that fell off of it:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance! :)

2. plantlover

plantlover Member

OK, I think that both of these plants are some sort of aglaonemas, but not sure.

3. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

The first one is a Sanseveiria trifasciata, probably the cultivar 'Hahni'. The second one is an Aglaonema, though it is difficult to make a more specific identification. Joe

4. plantlover

plantlover Member

Thank you!

Now, how do I go about taking care of them...what do they need?

On the 2nd one, are they supposed to have those cane like things -- the stalks? Are those supposed to be cut down or anything?

5. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Both are low light plants. Sanseveiria needs to dry out completely between waterings, and Aglaenoma shouldn't dry out too much between waterings. Both need well drained soil. Don't cut back the stalks, as the plants look very sparse as it is.