Help caring for Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lisa Harry, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Lisa Harry, Hi Lisa I think this is the thread. If you re post the updates here then I will see them.

D

2. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hi @Acerholic check out the pic below it has the details

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Hi Lisa, just the writing again no photos.

4. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Got it @Acerholic the first two that are shorter are from last year. The last few are before and after shots of this year but in the wrong order

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

I understand what you mean. Lol.
    But what an amazing specimen it is turning out to be. I think this is going to give you so much pleasure for many, many years to come.
    I've also really enjoyed seeing it again, even though it took a while, Lol. Thankyou Lisa.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Beautiful garden @Lisa Harry

I wanted to understand more of your garden so viewed your other posts

Margot - a contributor formerly fr Burnaby and now on Vanc Island - started a virtual garden tour last yr and it’s a fun place to see other plants and combinations and styles - perhaps you’d enjoy chiming in too. Virtual Garden Tour

I note in your recent post (May2021) you have that ground cover (variegated leaf) that can really take over ... if that’s your plan, great, if not - be careful - I attached a close-up of your photo - below ... I forget the name — @Acerholic - do you know ?

PS - The plant wheels I posted about are best on hard solid surface Sea soil compost

Also - if your walnut tree (discusses in earlier posts) is in limbo so to speak - maybe the city would better like your proposal to remove it if you promise to donate sound wood to artisans like wood turners or carvers or furniture makers - we removed a big old holly recently and a wood turner was happy to receive the massive trunk parts.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Not too clear, but parts remind me of hedra algeriensis but other leaves it doesn't.

8. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hi @Georgia Strait thanks so much for the information. I will check out the garden tour. I saw the plant stands, those will be great for the few on my deck but I need more stationary for my other ones but I agree they must be lifted up. That pic of the ground cover is actually my partners home and it’s been that way for 40 years he just removes it when he cleans up the yard, very good to know. I’ll try to utilize the forum better by checking other peoples posts like you did that’s awesome thanks.

9. Georgia Strait

Can't wait for @Margot to have her computer back :)

Pachysandra?

10. Acerholic

Don't think so Georgia, wrong leaves all together.

11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looks like variegated ground elder. The non variegated one is one of the worst and most persistent weeds ever so I avoid the variegated one on principle.

12. Georgia Strait

Yes you are correct - Douglas Justice names in this article -
    How to kill weeds naturally: goutweed | Vancouver Sun

Ok I have diverted the OP’s thread so i will leave this now - thank you again.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  13. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey everyone thought I’d give you an update of how my “rescue tree” is making out this summer in it’s new placement, I did remove a few branches in spring but don’t think I will in the coming years. I do feel like it’s doing great but it will need to be root pruned in fall. I think it’s looking great. Thanks again for all the advice

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Acerholic

A lovely update Lisa. So pleased it's looking green and healthy. A bit of TLC goes a long way.

D

Lisa Harry likes this.
  15. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey guys just wondering if you know why the tip of this tree has gone a bit black? I was planning on cutting it off but how far back to go? Thanks @Acerholic and @emery Ive tagged you guys cause not sure it it will be seen as it’s an old post

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Good morning Lisa, it is just dying back. Cut it off to the good wood and all will be fine.

D

Lisa Harry likes this.
  17. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Lisa, I agree with D nothing to worry about. However, I think this is what we might call :) "stub dieback", that is, you've cut and (correctly) left a stub, and this is now dying back to the live wood. In this particular case, I think it's better to leave the stub to completely dry out before removing it, though there's likely little risk given how it looks of that causing the dieback to move further up the branch. Still better safe than sorry, so I'd leave it until completely brown. Cheers, -E

Lisa Harry likes this.
  18. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks so much guys

19. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Well with the guidance and encouragement from @Acerholic @AlainK @emery and @Luke’s Maples (hope I haven’t missed anyone - really everyone on the forum is so helpful). My “RESCUE TREE” is doing remarkably well! I may need to rename it. It is a favourite for sure, it holds such a special place in my heart, I’m so very proud at how much healthier it has become. I am so happy I got to be apart of it thriving. I’ve had some work finally done to the yard and I’m hoping it can stay in this location. I had a couple friends help me move it to this spot but it is still “backwards” I’ll fix it later. D3348414-AD9D-4479-8D28-77E9500E3AE7.jpeg

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

What a lovely looking tree now Lisa. The canopy should fill out and hang down forming a look that will bring pleasure for many years to come.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  21. Georgia Strait

Beautiful!

i like the textures and colors in your arrangement

and I like how the big tree is protector of newly thriving tree

wkat is the stand your glazed pot is on?

Lisa Harry likes this.
  22. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hello again @Georgia Strait so nice to hear from you again. Thanks for kind words. The stand is actually custom made and ridiculous to be honest. I work with welders and millwrights and was blessed to get a couple of stainless steel stands made of flat bar. It’s way over kill but it’s what was lying around the shop. There are four adjustable feet so that really helps with levelling on the rocks and my grade of yard. Here’s a small line up of my back yard. Those stands probably cost like $800 to make when you take into account the jig that the millwright made The welders time and the material is a good grade of stainless

Attached Files:

maf, Acerholic and Georgia Strait like this.
  23. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

That is such great news. I’ve been off the radar for a little while but still have a couple of beautiful trees that I care for. I will post some pics I think:-)

Lisa Harry and emery like this.
  24. Acerholic

A 'VERY' BIG WELCOME BACK LUKE.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  25. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

My! I was just wondering what had become of you yesterday. Happy to hear you're still around mate.

Lisa Harry likes this.