gaultheria pernettya mucronata

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by dirtyhands, Mar 16, 2022.

1. dirtyhands

dirtyhands New Member

I've just discovered this small/medium shrub with beautiful pink berries needs a male partner. Might anyone know where I could purchase?
    Many thanks

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Watch out, it has a tendency to be invasive!

3. dirtyhands

dirtyhands New Member

Hmmm. I've had it for about 4 years (wondering why it has only the berries it came with) and no problem. Still looking for a male plant to be able to grow berries tho......

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Botanical name is Gaultheria mucronata. With pernettya - the former genus name - now serving as a common name. So, yes to presentation as pernettya (Gaultheria mucronata), but no to the combination Gaultheria pernettya mucronata.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No problem with invasiveness so far, because it hasn't produced any seed! If you get a male, you get berries, and they spread their seeds when birds eat the berries. Then you get your problem . . .

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

This has been found escaped in the wild as an individual plant or two in Richmond, but hasn't tipped over to invasiveness locally.