bulge bark in japanese maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by alex66, Feb 26, 2022.

1. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hallo one Italy maple freind have a problem on bark with this maple any ideas about this bark problem?

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Alex. Looks like galls.

D

alex66 likes this.
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Already gave my opinion on FB, but here it is again: I think the bark was likely encircled by something, like a plastic tag, and the bark then grew around it. The first impulse is to say a poorly taken graft, but in one of the pictures you could see the graft was well below the swelling.

Otto Bjornson, AlainK, alex66 and 2 others like this.
  4. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

You've got certain types of disease that do this as well, no?
    But the branch looks quite healthy otherwise.

alex66 likes this.
  5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I wondered if it was a failed attempt to make an air layer that had subsequently healed over?

The dot in the centre does lend credence to the encircled tag theory from @emery though, which would be the bookies' favourite so far imo.

alex66 and AlainK like this.
  6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, that sounds logical: I've never ever seen that kind of bulge on a tree, except when I secured a wire around the trunk/branch for a prospective air-layer.

Or maybe the trunk was bent at one moment or another, damaging the cambium...

alex66 likes this.
  7. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Unfortunately i have a case right now on a Citrus medica, (cédratier, main de Bouddha).
    I got it 8 years ago , or so, with a little swelling on the union graft (1), that is increasing year after year; and also 2 others bulges appears on the start of branches.
    (on photo 1.2.3.).

Two years ago i opened the left swelling (2), i didn’t find anything in it; except wood fiber in a mess, (fibres en désordre au centre du bois).
    Witch points to a virus hypothesis, a virus probably transmitted by the graft.
    It is not possible to determine by eye the viruses that a tree contains in it’s wood.

The damage is aesthetic but the tree is not diseased; it grows normally.
    No ‘greening’ on fruits , as for some viruses.
    No ’stubborns’ on leaves, as for others viruses .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    alex66 likes this.
  8. AlainK

Number 1 is "normal": the stock is weaker than the scion that was grafted on it.
    To me, number 3 looks like the scar left by a branch that was pruned.
    Number 2 could have been a burl left after an attack by insects (like what we call "loupe" when it's used in cabinet making). It's not unusual to see these on old trees in forests, where they were not damaged by man, but by animals...

And what do you mean by "stubborns" ?... Do you mean "gall" (abnormal swelling of plant tissue caused by insects or microorganisms or injury) ?

Like for "Citrus medica, (cédratier, main de Bouddha)", maybe you could mention the name in French: it's sometimes difficult to find the proper translation of a word in a scientific, or specific domain : don't ask me what dendrologists call "a burl" ("une loupe" - not even sure this is the right term used by foresters in French when the tree has not been cut down !) ;-)

9. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

What a question ! Citrus médica is the scientific name (C V Linnée) for that Citrus , and cédratier or main de Bouddha are the common names in french !!

At the end, i mentionned 2 symptoms only to rule them out.
    The last one about ’stubborn’ means Citrus stubborn disease, sometime said 'stubborn citry’.
    It is a graft transmissible viroid disease witch reduces the production and growth ; i vas saying, my Citrus don’t have it neither on leaves nor on spectacular delicious fruits cooked in pastries.

There is not burl at all. If one day you visit us, as i hope, i have one big on a 40 years old abricot tree, i can show you how it is inside (une loupe).

But we are getting off the topic and my suggestion about virosis of a maple in Rome ...
    I tell you friendly, your comments based on approximate knowledge do not allow me to take yours analysis seriously.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  10. AlainK

OK, OK !

Thanks for this, I had never heard of it before ;-)

I might, I could. I'd like to, actually.
    Thank you very much for your kind invitation. I haven't got out of my den in the past two years or so for various reasons, but I'd love to be on the road again, if I can.

11. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Complete name is :Citrus medica var.sarcodactylus- but in every italian nursery is :mano di buddha :-)