Question about phyllostachys ?

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by mole, May 7, 2006.

1. mole

mole Member

Hello,
    can someone tell me if they ever heard of phyllostachys rubromargin or rubromarginata.
    Also if it is a running or clumping form wich usually phyllo.variety are(clumping) .Is it the same cultivation as other? May be a picture of the culm?Looked everywhere ,even in a book from -la bambouseraie d'anduze- to no avail.
    thanks gerard

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

P. rubromarginata. Not rare, mentioned on web sites and in books.

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

The name "Rubromarginata" gives the impression of the colour red somewhere. But the name, in fact, refers to inconspicuous red bristles. So, the bamboo is, in general, green in appearance. All Phyllostachys species are temperate running bamboos. However, the rate of spread varies considerable from species to species, and within the same species, on the growing conditions. For example, I just wish my P nigra will spread even at a fraction of the rate at which it is reputed to be able to do in warmer climates. Some Phyllostachys are slow growing enough to behave more like an open clumper. But Phyllostachys rubromarginata is one of the faster spreading bamboo.

If you would like to learn more about this bamboo, this page from Lewis Bamboo's website provides excellent information and has plenty of pictures.

4. mole

mole Member

thank you.I guess i have the wrong kind of books and i am not very web oriented yet.thanks again.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years